Author Topic: Better than swimming with dolphins!  (Read 63243 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Better than swimming with dolphins!
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 22:32:11 »
Oh 10,  what a game we had!

The CP man told me to coax her inside the pavilion which was easy because she thought she was going to be fed.  She was fine until he came inside then she took one look at him and did a runner and hid.  It was as though she had vanished into thin air.  We spent at least 15 minutes looking for her but it was no good and he had to go to another appointment.

So, next Tuesday one of our plotholders, Ken, is going to have a go.  She trusts Ken because he always gives her food before he goes home every day and has even managed to pick her up twice.  The CP man left a cage for her, so if Ken can pick her up and get her in it, the CP man will come and take her to the vet for us.

The funny thing was that I thought she would have been terrified by the experience but the minute the CP man left, she came strolling out of the pavilion and settled down to eat her breakfast as though nothing had happened.

I really like this kitten.  I could say she has b*lls but even if she did have, she wouldn't have for much longer!

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 09:03:37 »
Aaaaawwww - hope the 2nd attempt goes better. It sounds like she enjoys human company - and she's got you all well and truly sussed!

Good luck Ken!!

:)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 13:28:39 »
Aaaaawwww - hope the 2nd attempt goes better. It sounds like she enjoys human company - and she's got you all well and truly sussed!

Good luck Ken!!

:)

Thanks 10 - absolutely no problem this morning.  We put a bowl of food down and as she went to eat it Ken stroked her, got her by the scruff and put her in the cage.  She didn't struggle and wasn't frightened. I phoned Cats Protection and Jenny came to collect her and take her to the vet.

Jenny just phoned me to say she had rung the vet and Triangle has had her op and was recovering well.  I thought that was so nice of her to ring me.  Mind you, I think I looked like an anxious parent when Triangle was taken away this morning.  :(

Thankls for thinking of her. :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 16:19:11 »
dear anxious parent,

well done Ken!! and yes that was nice of the CPL to phone and let you know

10  :)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 16:19:44 »
Triangle had her op yesterday and was brought back to us by the CP this morning.  Apart from the patch of shaved hair on her side and a few stitches you would never dream that she had just had an operation. 

We let her out of the cage having been warned that she might hide for a day or two.  No chance!  She went straight over to the food and started eating then had a play with Janet the tabby kitten. 

She doesn't seem to have been put off us at all and is even more friendly today, coming near so we can stroke her.

Janet is going to be next, but we will have to catch her in a trap because she is much more timid than Triangle and doesn't let us come close.

The Cats Protection have been so helpful to us, lending us a cage and taking and fetching her back from the vet.  They told me they will do the same for Janet and the four adults I feed on my plot.  There is no charge for neutering feral cats, but I gave them a donation and we do help with their fund-raising.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 16:44:13 »
A happy ending!!  :)  :)  :)

Well done you and the CPL

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 17:53:20 »
Good news  ;D

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 18:05:06 »
That's great, do please keep us happy with news and photos of her and all the others!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 19:43:25 »
Well done, Betty - Caesar and I are very grateful!

[/img][/img]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 19:47:21 by asj »
War on slugs and snails!!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 22:43:20 »
Caesar is lovely!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 12:30:11 »
Thanks Betty - please keep us up to date with Triangle and the others  ;D

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 11:37:42 »
Btw - I know Caesar shouldn't really be on this thread, he just wanted to express his appreciation for all you do for his fellow felines! ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 13:46:46 »
Btw - I know Caesar shouldn't really be on this thread, he just wanted to express his appreciation for all you do for his fellow felines! ;D

Caesar is more than welcome to be on this thread  ;)

Triangle has gone from letting me stroke the top of her head while she eats to letting me stroke her properly from her head to the tip of her tail.  She lets me rub behind her ears which makes her purr.  She takes titbits of food from my hand and rubs against my legs while I'm getting her food ready.  I haven't tried picking her up because of her operation but I might manage that in a few weeks.

Hard to believe that this is the same kitten who ran to hide only two months ago.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 14:23:30 »
I wonder if in time she could be found a home Betty ??

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 14:43:03 »
We're loving Caesar  ;D  But it does make me realise how much I miss having cats  around :'(  but maybe next year........  :-\

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 14:54:33 »
I wonder if in time she could be found a home Betty ??

It would be lovely if she could have a 'real' home and if I didn't have two cat-hating dogs she would have one with me. Quite a few people at the allotments really like her but unfortunately they either already have cats of their own or dogs who hate cats. 

If she doesn't find a home I'm sure she will be alright with us.  She has regular food, shelter, another kitten to play with and a massive 'garden'.  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 16:24:31 »
It sounds to me like she already has a home - food, shelter, space and lots of friends.  Not that that means she wouldn't like a "home of her own", it just means that she's probably already a pretty happy little moggy  ;D ;D Just as long as care goes on during the winter - my old lotty used to be deserted in the winter, which is obviously not what Triangle deserves!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 05:22:43 »
The cats still get fed, even on Christmas Day.  I don't live far and it is no problem for me to go over to look after them. I've been feeding the ones who come to my plot for over a year now. If I go away for a few days then Ken takes over.

Our allotments are a bit like a social club in some ways.  We are lucky enough to have a meeting-room and kitchen where people can make drinks and toast, or use the microwave.  Some people are very lonely at home on their own so they still go there even if the weather is awful.

We are very lucky, and I suppose the cats are too.  :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 07:34:45 »
Thats why Tony and myself and our friends have taken a plot on Bettys site.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2010, 15:51:29 »
Felix and Triangle were sharing an old coat that someone had left for them outside the pavilion today.
[attachment=1]

Triangle doesn't run away any more when we go close to her
[attachment=2]

Janet is still a bit nervous, but getting much better.  I love the orange colour in her stripes
[attachment=3]

But the best news of all - Triangle came completely on my lap today!  Only because I had put a bit of bread and butter there for her but she wasn't frightened and came to get it.  I'll do that every day and stroke her while she is there.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal