Author Topic: Better than swimming with dolphins!  (Read 63926 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Better than swimming with dolphins!
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2010, 15:05:38 »
[attachment=1]

This is Janet today.

We are moving very slightly forward with her.  She doesn't run away from me now, but she doesn't come too close either.  When I put her food down she is about a foot away but if I try to touch her she backs off.  She almost took some bread and butter from me once, but then changed her mind.

She has such a different personality to Triangle, but she is such a pretty little cat.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2010, 15:18:26 »
Janet is beautiful - she'll eventually come to you, I'm sure.
War on slugs and snails!!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2010, 17:48:16 »
I think she is a pretty little thing but then I like tabbies. felix is still me favourite though. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2010, 18:16:23 »
Janet looks as though she may have a touch of wild cat in her which perhaps explains why she's more cautious.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2010, 19:10:15 »
I've just reread the whole of this thread. It's great! And the cats are so zen!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2010, 16:10:35 »

But there was a dead 'rodent' outside the pavilion this morning.  Obviously killed by a cat, and left there as a present for us.  It looked too big to be a mouse and too small for a rat. I showed this to the man and he was impressed. 

Now that is a huge compliment - when cat's bring you (the owner / friend) a present!
Lovely to see updates of them, and I love the shelters  :)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2011, 11:05:45 »
Lovely to see updates of them, and I love the shelters  :)

My daughter thinks the shelters make a shanty town look posh!

My son in law is going to make one out of wood which should be much better than the cardboard one they have on my plot at the moment.

BTW, it's true what they say about Naughty Torties - Calico scratched me yesterday!
She had been prancing around my feet and being really nice and friendly while I got the food ready but as I put it down, she lunged at me and scratched my hand.  Not a bad scratch but it did shock me a bit because I wasn't trying to touch her, just putting the food down.  I don't know if this is a normal thing for a cat to do or not, or if Calico is just living up to her colour.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2011, 11:50:52 »
That was just in case you ate the food Betty. We went yesterday to inspect the broad beans and saw the cats. All in the pavilion with Ken.The kittens are really big now aren't they
                             I want em saying

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2011, 11:51:55 »
Naughty Calico   :(

Hope you have up to date Tetanus jab,something I think everyone who gardens regularly should have.

I love reading about the cats.

Next year when we vote for who we want to be the beneficiary of our A4A Christmas appeal I will put up the Allotment cats with other suggestions for the vote.

I am sure they deserve it for giving us all a lot of pleasure for starters LOL  ;D

Happy New Year to the Allotment cats  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2011, 12:37:59 »
That was just in case you ate the food Betty. We went yesterday to inspect the broad beans and saw the cats. All in the pavilion with Ken.The kittens are really big now aren't they

Yes, they are really growing now.  Triangle has an enormous appetite - she eats her own food then gently nudges Felix away from his and eats that too.  Then she goes over to Janet and helps her out as well.

Felix is like a little Rottweiler, I took this the other day

[attachment=1]

Ken is such a help, he comes up on the bus every day to do the afternoon feed.  He even walked the couple of miles when the buses weren't running because of the snow.  His grandaughter had a calendar made for him with a photo of one of his cats on every month - lucky that he has twelve  :o
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2011, 12:41:49 »
Naughty Calico   :(

Hope you have up to date Tetanus jab,something I think everyone who gardens regularly should have.

I love reading about the cats.

Next year when we vote for who we want to be the beneficiary of our A4A Christmas appeal I will put up the Allotment cats with other suggestions for the vote.

I am sure they deserve it for giving us all a lot of pleasure for starters LOL  ;D

Happy New Year to the Allotment cats  ;D

Ahh, that is really kind of you but there are such worthwhile causes out there that I think the lottie cats might not be all that popular.  But it's lovely of you to think of it.  :) Thank you.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2011, 12:58:51 »
He is one lovely cat. ;D
                             I want em saying

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2011, 14:30:08 »
They'd get my vote!  :)
When I was a boy and got scratched by one of the cats mum always said that it was a sign of affection, and I always replied in that case I wish they didn't like me!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2011, 17:56:42 »
Yes I know Dulce loves me, but bringing a pigeon in the cat flap at night and then killing it in the living room is not good news. I also do not appreciate frogs and mice running about my kitchen. My hands are bleeding where I picked him up and put him over the back fence to send him home. Much as I love cats, I don't think I would give next year.  Think ill/disabled people should take priority, am sure the allotment people feed the cats and that Cats Protection League helps.  Just my opinion, may get shouted down, but if I give up smoking will have loads of money to give away. Dream on.  Love to ET.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2011, 18:11:08 »
Thats why we have a vote isn't it.
                             I want em saying

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2011, 18:16:23 »
We used to sing carols at the local Tesco to raise money for the Childrens' Hospital, which was just opposite back then. When we had competition from animal charities, in a worse position across the way, they always raised a lot more than we did. Personally I'd give money to people every time.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2011, 21:42:40 »
I must admit we sponsor a dog with Dogs Trust.The plight of innocent animals always gets to me.

You are right Betty every charity is deserving and it is so hard to choose but in this case I know feeding those kitties must cost a lot ...plus it would be nice to be able to give them some A1 accommodation LOL  ;D They are Allotment cats after all   ;D

My instinct tells me it would be better not to debate to just vote on each one that is suggested at the time as I would hate to turn the cats into a subject for argument.

My only stipulation at the time I started the A4A Christmas gift was it should be something connected with Gardening
Allotments etc as that is what we are about on here.  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2011, 13:56:50 »
The first time I've ever been able to get all four Plot Cats in the same photo.
Calico is nearest, rubbing herself against a stick.  Keith is walking away from me with his bushy tail in the air and E.T. is opposite him on the left.  Wanda is sitting near the table at the top of the photo.

[attachment=1]

I've come to the conclusion today that Calico is the boss.  I wondered why the other three didn't go close to her and now I know why - she bats them if they do! Since she scratched me the other day I'm a bit wary of her myself.  I have visions of her launching herself onto my chest like Felix did a few weeks ago.  :o  but at least he did it in a friendly way. 

Cats are very mysterious.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2011, 14:33:44 »
I think that rubbing against post thing (like what Calico is doing) is about leaving scent to mark out territory.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2011, 14:39:24 »
I think that rubbing against post thing (like what Calico is doing) is about leaving scent to mark out territory.

She is the only one of the four that I've seen doing this.  Do you think it is because she sees herself as the Top Cat?  (or isn't there this sort of hierarchy in the feline world?)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal