Author Topic: help with asparagus req'd  (Read 770 times)

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
help with asparagus req'd
« on: September 22, 2010, 16:35:16 »
I am moving plots during the winter and have some 4yr old asparagus,Haven't had anything off them yet so was hoping next year,When, if I can , is the best time to move it and will it produce spears next year or will I have to wait even longer

small

• Hectare
Re: help with asparagus req'd
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 18:55:35 »
There's a thread a bit further down about this, my contribution was that I moved asparagus successfully at about this age, do it soonish and keep them watered if we get a dry spell. I'd try a few spears in the spring - in my experience they are a delicacy but they're not delicate.......

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: help with asparagus req'd
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 00:08:11 »
Try to note which are the males and which are the females and only crop from the males if you can next year if you do take some.... the energy the female plants put into making the berries the males put into their roots so if any were going to be needing a bit gentler treatment then I'd do it that way..... I'm sort of lucky, my plants are two years old nowe and in biggish pots and will be going into the ground this autumn once the bed is prepared... won't cut them next year (or maybe a single spear per male plant) but hopefully over the next couple of years they'll develop into me taking bushels of asparagus into work to give away.....

chrisc

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal