Author Topic: Russets  (Read 1197 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Russets
« on: September 22, 2010, 10:24:34 »
I love the taste of a crispy russet at xmas. So 7 years ago I planted a good size standard tree which is now about 3 m. high. It has only ever produced 3 apples in a season. This year 2 apples and a new blossom. There used to be a plum that was too close for comfort that I grubbed out a couple of years ago, so it is not being robbed by anything else, apart  from a privet hedge which will have to stay. 

It gets sun all day apart from an hour at mid day. There was not a lot of blossom in the spring (about a dozen) all the other apples in the orchard have produced well this year so it can't be the soil. I am going to plant another this autumn from Deacons which is a reputable tree nursery. What do you think will be the best aspect for it to produce a decent crop.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Russets
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:51:13 »
The aspect sounds fine...but about your existing tree...your tree doesn't produce much plossom??...have you go many flowering spurs on? Have you fertilized the ground? You  could apply some suphate of potash around root area..say End of January time..that's every year..and superphosphates once every 3 years and end of February time some FBF or suphate of ammonia or nitro-chalk..something that contain nitrogen in steady supply for growth..even manure based mulch would do good..
Your soil may be generally fine but lack of flowers is normally about getting balance of certain elements right...with some feed your existing one may well react so that by next year this time you'll have more than just 2-3 fruits.. ;)
It could be that the soil on that small area is depleted by some nutrients or used up by more established trees/hedge.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:53:40 »
another thing..do you know the exact variety?..is it tip bearer?..have you been pruning flowerbuds off?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:19:56 »
I do not prune, only raise the canopy a bit if the branches grow too low. I just checked the single blossom that has appeared and it is growing halfway up a branch and the small cluster of blossom is growing from the top of a small spur. I put a small mulch of compost around all my trees just to make it easier when mowing without having to strim around the trunk. I do this to all my trees  and top it once or twice a year. Lost the label years ago so I do not know the exact variety. A small brown 'suede' skinned apple.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:30:24 »
I love the taste of a crispy russet at xmas. So 7 years ago I planted a good size standard tree which is now about 3 m. high. It has only ever produced 3 apples in a season. This year 2 apples and a new blossom. There used to be a plum that was too close for comfort that I grubbed out a couple of years ago, so it is not being robbed by anything else, apart  from a privet hedge which will have to stay. 

It gets sun all day apart from an hour at mid day. There was not a lot of blossom in the spring (about a dozen) all the other apples in the orchard have produced well this year so it can't be the soil. I am going to plant another this autumn from Deacons which is a reputable tree nursery. What do you think will be the best aspect for it to produce a decent crop.

It is a standard tree.  They bear much later than trees on dwarf rootstocks.  Maybe in another year or two you will get lots of russets. 

That said, they can be fickle anyway.  We have two russets, Egremont and Brownlee's and both are never quite happy, although the egremont russet has picked up since we got the rain after the long drought.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 00:15:37 »
I love the taste of a crispy russet at xmas.

It's unlikely that Egremont Russet will still be crispy at Xmas - enjoyable yes - of the early apples it's one of the best keepers, but real crispness from store is just too much to ask of an early apple.

There are some later russets which have the extra hardness and extra acidity to keep them tasting fresh and crisp at Xmas. Brownlees is one.

I have a niggling memory that at least one of the less-well known russets is a tip-bearer - maybe Brownlees, maybe St Edmunds - impossible to confirm as nurseries tend to keep this info well hidden - it might explain some problems however - tip bearers cannot abide 'short back and sides' pruning - if you prune like this you get nothing...

If the problem isn't tip-bearing then maybe the type simply doesn't like your climate and you should try (or graft over to...) something else.

The russet keeper I'm most familiar with is Rosemary Russet - it would be excellent for this purpose except that it is probably the least russeted russet I've ever grown!

It may russet up better in your climate but there are other more russeted apples don't have russet in the name - so we are back to my No 1 favourite of all time - the Ashmeads Kernel (RHS AGM).

It is a greyish-brown russet rather than a nice golden one but the flavour & crispness are absolutely unbeatable and the keeping qualities are first division (Sturmer Pippin is better on this angle - but it's not a russet).

Actually the unprepossessing appearance of AK is an advantage if your tree can be scrumped - only the initiated will appreciate it!

Since it got the AGM (which means suggestions of shy bearing are nonsense) it has become much easier to source too.

As to your problem with yield - the answer may be in the phrase "standard tree". Are you sure you haven't got a 'bargain' tree on a semi-dwarfing rootstock in poorish or dryish soil? Such a tree would be 3m after 7 years and still be immature while it is on its way towards 4, 5 or even 6m.

On the other hand a tree on M9 or M26 that was very well mulched for its first year or two and given compost after that would be 3m after 7 years and unlikely to grow a lot bigger (except with a triploid scion but that's another story).

It would probably have produced at least 3 apples in its second summer, and be producing 100% for its size in another 2 years.

Another possibility is the phrase "planted a good size". It is generally accepted that bare-rooted feathered maidens make the most reliable well-rooted trees and bigger/older trees are progressively more prone to poor rooting and circular root systems where the roots keep behaving as if they were still in the original pot. Overfeeding and overwatering can make this worse.

Current best practice is to dig a good sized square hole, plant your tree encouraging the roots to spread even if you have to remove some circular ones, backfill with lightened, not fertilised soil (some garden compost is OK), and cover with at least 1sq metre of very heavy mulch - black plastic is fine. Keep the mulch in place for at least a year, water regularly and deeply but only weekly at most except in dry spells, and don't use fertiliser until 2nd year at earliest  - after the roots have been forced to make their own way in the world.

Cheers

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 00:28:55 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:50:09 »
Which reminds me to get our Egremonts in... it's not a tip bearer it (ours) is a minarette and very confined (about 4' square) and 7' tall and will give about three full crrier bags even after the windfalls. I find they are still crunchy in January if kept in the brick shed in slatted trays...  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 16:54:41 »
There seem to be several russets which are tip bearers. It's not that hard to find out if you google a variety.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 20:00:27 »
ACE, when you say you have had only two or three apples during the past two years. has it flowered well?  Cos if it has you could be lacking pollinators in the area, and may need to plant other varieties nearby.

Hope that's not too obvious a suggestion.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal