Author Topic: spring has sprung  (Read 3049 times)

ACE

• Hectare
spring has sprung
« on: December 21, 2004, 08:54:26 »
I know we are a little bit luckier  in our climate than you lot on the north island, but to have a daff out in flower for xmas must take some beating. No special treatment and all on its own and in a group of last years mixed bulbs that were planted in a corner that was empty in early november.

I do not know what variety, but I should think it was a dwarf type, unless the  plant growth is stunted.

I also had a shock when the  prunus subbirtella all of a sudden burst out in bloom, but after reading the label it is the autumnalis rosea which comes out  from nov. to march. I did not realise that I had that variety and would recomend it to anybody that has the space and likes a bit of winter colour.
 I am going to try grafting some of it into a spring flowering variety and see if I can get it to flower tice a year.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: spring has sprung
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 09:33:30 »
I have seen three trees already in blossom. They look like flowering cherries. I'm in London. Very odd!
gone to pot :D

grape_expectations

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 14:46:52 »
Hello,

I have several clumps of primroses blooming - but the London micro-climate must have something to do with that.

Christina

JustMarian

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 17:18:16 »
And I have my delphinium in bloom !  Beat that in south east england !

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 12:05:03 »
Noticed snowdrops and daffodils are poking their noses through the ground. This snow will check them for a while though! Amazingly, there are still a few south african daisies flowering!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 10:32:20 »
I have had primroses out for some time now, many of the spring bulbs started showing themselves some time ago too.

On the flip side i stil have some 'summer' flowers still going such as penstemons, gailiardia and english marigold.  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal