Author Topic: lpg  (Read 3150 times)

ACE

• Hectare
lpg
« on: September 20, 2010, 20:12:37 »
I am thinking of changing my motor, the insurance and ferry fares on my ranger have gone through the roof because it is deemed a commercial vehicle even though for 75% of the time it is social and domestic.

Now I like the look of the grand cherokee jeep, which is rated as a normal car, but a 4 litre petrol engine is a bit silly to use with petrol as a fuel. my nipper who is a mechanic can convert it to lpg which makes it a viable prospect, but how easy is it to get gas at filling stations?

What is it like around your areas for filling stations with an lpg pump. No good getting a list of normal gas suppliers as most are closed at 5 oclock and weekends.

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: lpg
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 22:23:00 »
Well, with lpg (not that you would particularly want to from the IoW), but you would not be allowed through the channel tunnel.  Apparently they are rather more combustible than their diesel/petrol counterparts.  That said. I don't know whether it would affect your ferry journeys.  I would have thought unlikely, but might be worth checking.

As for lpg filling stations - in this area they are very few and very far between. ???

valmarg

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:32:14 »

As for lpg filling stations - in this area they are very few and very far between. ???

valmarg

Seems to be the problem everywhere, but I would have the option of switching to petrol in an emergency.I bet the government will up the tax on it as soon as I get it done. lots of freebies with parking and conjestion charges though. As for the chunnel, NO THANKS! (shiver) The ferry for me every time, no restrictions on them.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:43:31 »
Don't be silly Ace, get yourself a Micra.  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:07:20 »
 ;D ;D ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:18:14 »
Sounds like a good idea to me! There's a Jet in Southsea that does it...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:52:55 »
Ace - try this site

http://www.lpgmap.co.uk - not used it myself but seems like it could be useful..

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:08:29 »
No problem at all.  One 2 miles from us and another 5 within a radius of 10 miles.  No problem on the continent either for journeys abroad, but you need a set of adaptors because the fittings are different from UK fittings.

You need to know that you don't get the same miles from a litre of lpg that you get from a litre of petrol.  Probably around 70 percent, so the savings in money terms are not that wonderful.  But over the lifetime of a vehicle (we exchanged our lpg car  recently with 130000 miles on the clock) it does work out cheaper. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:23:46 by galina »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 16:34:36 »
Don't be silly Ace, get yourself a Micra.  ;)

You are really trying hard to get on my ignore list, and don't think I missed that snigger shirlton ;)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 16:55:12 »
How about a Matiz, very nippy, I got it up to 90 on the way home from Clacton, mind you it was down hill wind assisted.     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 17:38:02 »
Hmmm...why there is this sniggering going on when word micra is mentioned... >:(it is true gardeners mean machine...
I can easily put 10 x75 litre bags of compost in..dog..tools..myself..and a hand bag..and the car will still moove and get me safely from A to B.. ;D..what else does one want from a car?.. ;)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 17:43:57 »
.and the car will still moove and get me safely from A to B..

But what about the 3 mile tailback behind you as you speed along at 15 mph. Bl00dy things should be banned and anybody even thinking about buying one should really hand in their licence. I will have bull Micra bars on the front of my wagon to shunt the silly little things in the ditch.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 18:07:41 »
.and the car will still moove and get me safely from A to B..

But what about the 3 mile tailback behind you as you speed along at 15 mph. Bl00dy things should be banned and anybody even thinking about buying one should really hand in their licence. I will have bull Micra bars on the front of my wagon to shunt the silly little things in the ditch.

Look Ace, it's obvious you are in denial, why not just come out and admit that you LOVE Micras?  Nothing to be ashamed of.

As you are aware, I have one myself and it's given me over 13 years of steady 30 mph service so what's not to like? 

It's very low maintenace, in fact we do all the bodywork ourselves, with bathroom filler from Poundland
[attachment=1]

Plenty of room inside for my dogs
[attachment=2]

and Grandad who loves it so much I can't get him out of it
[attachment=3]

Loads of room for storage
[attachment=4]

and a very sleek body
[attachment=5]

And before you ask, no, I don't want to sell it to you.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 18:09:29 »
 ;D..not tailbacks behind me love..My micra moves..I know my pedals.. ;D ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 18:11:08 »
Ohh..squash.. ;D ;D..just perfect.. ;D..now they all want one..

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 18:19:15 »
Mine moves too.  I haven't ever used 5th gear but I will one day when the road is clear.

It is lovely isn't it Goodlife?  I've had it for over 13 years and it's as good as new.  Sort of.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 18:28:12 »
Lovely..yes... ;D..and grandad looks comfortable too..
One of my neighbours keeps parking his 'bully mobile' too close to mine and breaking the number plate (must be fatal atraction)..so I've often though fitting bull bar on mine...
Once you decide to try that 5th gear..be warned..maybe you should do it where the speedcameras are removed.. ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 18:34:40 »
Ace if you don't want amicra you could perhaps get yourself a suzuki supercarry like ours.It has a cooker and a bed in ;D ;D ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 18:18:09 »
I picked up some three meter girders in my punto, just have to open the passenger window!!
you cant go round the roundabout on two wheels in a jeep.
and people let you out of junctions in a hatchback- i have a no jeeps and no saloons policy for giving way at difficult spots.

our local morrisons has lpg.

once you go hatch you never go back ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 19:30:25 »
I think these little run arounds are great, they're like the new black.  8) 8) 8)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal