Author Topic: Where do I get Comfrey from?  (Read 2184 times)

Greenqueen

• Not So New ...
Where do I get Comfrey from?
« on: September 19, 2010, 17:43:16 »
Hi to all

I have made a seat under a tree on my allotment from some old York stone lintels I have dug up.  I want to plant some Comfrey in the space behind it, to make good use of it.

Where do you get Comfrey Bocking 14 from? I have never seen it anywhere. Secondly will Comfrey grow in shade?

Thanks in advance.
Michelle.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Where do I get Comfrey from?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 17:57:11 »
Yes it will grown in shade...but it will grow quite big, if allowed and it is quite 'scratchy' when touched..would you have room behind the seat?
As where to get comfry...well...once it dies down for winter..I think I can supply you some..would barrow load be enough ::) ;D
Pm me in couple of months time and I can sort some out ;)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 18:57:31 »
Hi to all

I have made a seat under a tree on my allotment from some old York stone lintels I have dug up.  I want to plant some Comfrey in the space behind it, to make good use of it.

Where do you get Comfrey Bocking 14 from? I have never seen it anywhere. Secondly will Comfrey grow in shade?

Thanks in advance.
Michelle.

Is there much difference between 'Bocking 14' and the ordinary comfrey?

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Greenqueen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 19:08:37 »
As far as I am aware Bocking 14 doesnt self seed so wont spread and take over.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 19:12:36 »
As far as I am aware Bocking 14 doesnt self seed so wont spread and take over.

That must be a major advantage then - I was given a small root of the ordinary one when I began on my plot 9 years ago, I've got industrial quantities of it now!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 19:34:01 »
any comfry will grow large...blocking or not..the roots just multiply..year by year..
but even with 'normal' comfry..it doesn't get out of hand and self seed all over if it is harvested few times a growing season. If left on it's own 'care' , 'normal' comfry does seed some amount.
Here is link for nursery that list several different type of comfreys..even dwarf for those small spaces.. ;) If my memory serve me right blocking 14 is variety of russian comfry...and found to have highest amount of nurtrients when used to make plant feed....but in reality would most of us notice much difference..
http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/catalogue1.asp?sortby=engname&colhead=dapple&req=yes&doctitle=Suitable for dapple shade.

Greenqueen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 19:56:00 »
Thanks for the offer Goodlife, very kind of you  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 20:02:48 »
Now blocking will spread as easily as any other comfrey from pieces of root..so decide the spot for your comfrey carefully..once you start moving it into other position you'll find that it will still pop up were it originally was.
Now..I'm not 100% sure that mine is actual Blocking..but it is Russian..and it is well behaved and haven't self-seeded itself even I do let it flower..now and then only though ::)
But If needs to be..you are wellcome to it.. ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 18:44:03 »
I've always had comfrey on my plot, and it's never spread.

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 21:24:03 »
You can get comfrey from the Garden Organic catalogue btw...

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 21:30:27 »
Now blocking will spread as easily as any other comfrey from pieces of root..so decide the spot for your comfrey carefully..once you start moving it into other position you'll find that it will still pop up were it originally was.
Now..I'm not 100% sure that mine is actual Blocking..but it is Russian..and it is well behaved and haven't self-seeded itself even I do let it flower..now and then only though ::)

Its BOCKING 14, being the name of the trials in Bocking , Essex where it was developed. , and the point is it is sterile and doesn't set seed, and therefore doesnt spread by that means.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 22:11:41 »

Its BOCKING 14, being the name of the trials in Bocking , Essex where it was developed. , and the point is it is sterile and doesn't set seed, and therefore doesnt spread by that means.

Thank you :D

Yes, it is available from the Organic Catalogue, or Garden Organic if you are passing by. It will be available in South Oxfordshire at a farmers market soon as one of my schools took lots of cuttings to sell on to fund their organic veggie garden fence.

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 00:51:40 »
Ha, certainly echo not changing your mind where you put comfrey.

I moved the veg plot about 5 years ago, dug out all my (Bocking 14) comfrey as carefully as possible and moved it on.  I now have two lots, as the old area regenerated beautifully from merest shreds of root.

Every year since I have removed every new shoot as soon as I see it, hoping vainly to weaken it.  I have let it grow, then painted every leaf with glyphosate - twice.   Despite this it still returns within weeks laughing at me, full of health and vigour.  

I suppose I could grass over the border and keep it under by regular mowing, but apart from that I don't think I will ever be rid of it and if I turn my back it will have the border to itself.

So be warned!

Luckily it does look quite tropical and ornamental. We have reached an armed truce these days.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 00:53:11 by Morris »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 07:35:31 »
Some people are allergic to it.  I put a poltice on my OH and he came out in a rash very quickly.  So check out the possible users of the seat.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 07:46:02 »
BTW I also saw blocking 14 in the new T&M catalogue and I think they've still got some discounts on for their new website launch.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal