Author Topic: seed shopping sites  (Read 62674 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: seed shopping sites
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2012, 17:16:26 »
Looks like majority of their seeds are Russian origin...the packets didn't have any other lanquage on them..so its bit fun  ;D I'm really pleased to find that site..there is such a wealth of unknown varieties in Russia that we still haven't have any knowlege of...and those in Seemne are just some commercial varieties.
Now if I could only get my hands on their heritage seeds.. :-X ;D
In past Russian different institutes used to do lot of breeding..ups..that too but I'm talking veg sort now.. ::) ;D They didn't grow western varieties at all but all was their own 'making'. I'm glad that internet has made it possible to do some shopping cross borders. Estonia still have lot of Russian 'heritage' left after separating from the 'big mama'.
I'm hoping to find some more similar sites..search goes on..

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2012, 19:41:59 »
Google translate seems to do the russian better than the estonian. 

I presume that some of the Russian varieties will have been bred to be cold hardy.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2012, 20:49:24 »
Code: [Select]
I presume that some of the Russian varieties will have been bred to be cold hardy.
Hmm..not necessary.. :-\ If you look at atlas and see how big country Russia is..part of it has similar climate to Mediterranean countries..if not even warmer. They must have bred veges for every possible climate.
But generally I would say they are very suitable for our climate.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2012, 21:18:31 »
I tried various 'Franchi seeds' (seeds of Italy) last year and I'm afraid in my case a total flop, this year just bought from 'Premier Seeds' off e-bay, :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2012, 17:38:35 »
If you are feeling hard up Wilkinons have the seeds back out ... and 3 for 2 too!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2012, 11:15:49 »
My seeds from Estonia have arrived.  ;D   Packet sizes for courgettes small but a few is fine.  Ordered several types of pale cousa style courgettes, I hope to find a worthy substitue for Clarita.

The only disappointment is the few broad beans.  I think you would need several packets to make a row.  If I can find a way to prevent the voles from eating them I might be about to save some. 

But they seem to be great value for money and their service is good. 

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2012, 11:37:37 »
Good to hear.  I ordered some tomatoes and a courgette earlier this week from the same place - I went for the Chaika (Seagull) courgette in the end, looking forward to trying it all and getting out the Russian dictionary in the meantime! It was really difficult to choose.
 :D
Yes, not all of Russia is a frozen waste, nor does a reference to Siberia guarantee that something will grow easily outdoors, but I noticed today that some descriptions mention growing in southern regions.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2012, 19:01:01 »
If you do not speak russian you can go back to the original web site and then copy and paste the text into an online translator. 

But with courgettes I think I kind of know what to do with them.  The only thing I am not familiar with is rooted parsley but there is plenty online about Hambury Parsley.
I presume I start it off like parsley.  I chose several courgettes rather randomly.  My growing condition are so idiocyncratic that it is totally pot luck what will do well.

I am sure something I have bought will grow.  Anyway it will be a bit of fun trying.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2012, 20:27:09 »
Plant world seeds have just sent me a catalogue,
must not get any more tomato seeds
must not get any more tomato seeds
they just look and sound so enticing  ;D

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2012, 15:58:38 »
I know this isn't the newest thread, but has anyone tried the US company Adaptive Seeds?  I'm very tempted by some of their sugar snap/mange tout peas which don't seem to be readily available over here - and I still have some birthday money!  :)  I can't find a review of them anywhere.

Btw, received my tomato etc seeds from that Estonian company we were discussing recently - very happy with the results (with the usual proviso, of course, that it's too early to try them out); I double checked with them about whether some varieties were hybrids and they came to me via email, so for now  I would have them down as helpful.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 16:05:27 by SueK »

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:22 »
No-one familiar with these (see above)?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2012, 12:03:54 »
I assume you mean this;
http://www.adaptiveseeds.com/

I does look interesting site. Do you know if they do send to UK?

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2012, 13:14:16 »
I assume you mean this;
http://www.adaptiveseeds.com/

I does look interesting site. Do you know if they do send to UK?

$5 international flat rate

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2012, 13:35:19 »
You beat me to it, Poolcue!  :)  I put in a dummy order to see yesterday and it allowed you to select UK from a drop-down box.

Of course, as it's a flat rate, the temptation is to order a few packets to make it worthwhile - a good job my lot like mange tout/sugar snaps! :)  It just seemed a bit strange that a seed saving organisation of sorts didn't seem to attract many comments anywhere else. Most of the ones I'm after are available at peace seeds (http://www.peaceseeds.cn/PSList12.htm goes straight to the catalogue), which bred them in the first place, but it's not as on-line friendly or economically sensible to go through them.

I just wondered whether any of our north American contingent had tried them out.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2012, 15:15:36 »
I've bought a couple of lots of seed from them although I've not grown all the seeds yet, it seems a good company.  When I ordered they sent emails to update order process and when dispatched, seeds were sent in timely fashion and well packaged. I did come across a mention somewhere that someone wasn’t sure where they sourced their varieties but it does seem they made links while in UK and Europe. I’ve noticed several places saying seeds shared by Adaptive Seeds. 

They look gorgeous don't they, I bought a few types of sugar snap/mangetout peas to grow this year. I was hoping to add one to the seed circle dependent on how they do and taste. 
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2012, 15:38:48 »
I was sent this page...
http://www.glecklerseedmen.com/
You know who you are...getting me part from last of my pocket pennies... ;)..like I needed more tomato seeds.. ::)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2012, 16:09:09 »
I've found Gleckers a great company, fantastic selection and fast friendly service, top rate  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2012, 17:48:30 »
I've been watching to much of Mrs Brown's Boys. I miss read the name of Gleckers ;D.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2012, 18:23:04 »
Hi just a related message..

I visited with Tatiana on Sunday, a real treat she is a lovely lady, it is good to see where ours eeds come from.

I also bought some seeds from Salt Spring Island and have been dissapointed to find out that some them are wrongly described.

Don't forget if there is something you just have to have from this side of the pond and they won't ship it to the UK, you can have it shipped to me and I will ship it on.

Gives me the chance to pay back the favour for folks that have done that for me over there.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2012, 16:33:49 »
How wonderful to have Tatiana so close and even better she is lovely too  ;D
... and fingers crossed this year is much improved on last for her.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal