Author Topic: Has anyone grown or eaten Flower Sprouts?  (Read 1177 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 18:19:08 by caroline7758 »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Has anyone grown or eaten Flower Sprouts?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 20:41:20 »
I looked at them earlier in the year but sprouts and Kale aren't my favourites so mixed together I think I'll give growing them a miss. If I had the opportunity I would like to try them it might persuade me to set aside bed space....maybe
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 20:48:51 »
I saw Alys plant them on GW earlier this year and had a go.

T&M sell the seeds, you can get them from Wyevale's 50p sale.

So far, the plants don't look like the picture on the packet, they just look like very healthy vigorous tall Kale plants.

Not sure if my seeds have reverted to the dominant parent or if the whiteflies have eaten all the sprouty bits.

Still, they are not supposed to be ready to harvest until Christmas time so maybe it is too early to give up on them.

I quite fancied trying them from Alys's description though.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 20:56:13 »
T&M call them "Brussels Sprout Petit Posy" on the packet btw.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 13:42:27 »
I get loads of these things at the end of the season - they are called blown sprouts!

I don't throw them away, they are basically spring greens.

I prefer real sprouts - they have that nutty mustardy zing that nothing else has - and children hate.

Good. More for me.

I've noticed that most of the veg promoted to 'superfood' status have this slightly 'hot' taste - remove it and you remove the health benefits.

I reckon good old english mustards and horseradish will be the next trend.

Growing children are programmed to do just about everything they do - especially the annoying stuff.

In this case they are programmed to maximise sugar and fat intake - and anything that doesn't have either will be rejected.

Evolution isn't foolproof - it's still working against the famine pressures we had 20,000 or more years ago.

Tough problems need tough solutions - who's for Frankie Boyle as Health Minister?

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 15:11:24 »
Don't get it, mum still complains about vegetable theft in the kitchen and I've been married for almost nine years.....OH complains to.....sister is just as bad  :D

Mum used to have to prep twice as much as she wanted to cook if veg was edible raw. Carrots, cabbage, peas and beans all stolen  :) Sprouts are great as long as they are cooked right ie lightly. I'd even eat proper school cabbage much to other kids amazement  ??? And yes mum grew her own  :P

Most kids claim they don't like veg they haven't even tried  :'(

This year got a work collegues kids eating runner beans  :)

Sprouts, kale, greens  ;D ;D ;D
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal