Author Topic: My sad pumpkin patch  (Read 3104 times)

lisaparkin

• Acre
My sad pumpkin patch
« on: September 17, 2010, 17:22:39 »
This is the first time I've tried to grow pumpkins, dug a pit and filled with horse manure, planted pumpkins......fingers crossed next year will be better!

P1010174 by lisaparkin2010, on Flickr

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: My sad pumpkin patch
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 17:44:31 »
nothing sad about it at all. They look very healthy  :) What are they? Quite often with big squashes you only get 1 per vine

If you're pushed for space, next year try growing them over an arch or up a trellis

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 18:28:26 »
Oh, thank you, I thought they were a bit sad.  I don't know what they are, I just picked up some seeds.  I was hoping for giant monster pumpkins ;D ;D ;D  Next year I will choose my seeds better!

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 21:13:15 »
Not huge, but they are mine and I grew them  :D

P1010284 by lisaparkin36, on Flickr

P1010285 by lisaparkin36, on Flickr

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 00:52:30 »
Lisa, the smaller types are generally much sweeter to eat, especially after you have stored them for a while and they starches turn to sugar..you did well XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:54:23 »
Oh, thank you, I thought they were a bit sad.  I don't know what they are, I just picked up some seeds.  I was hoping for giant monster pumpkins ;D ;D ;D  Next year I will choose my seeds better!

If you want them for winter keeping, may I suggest you also look at the cucurbita maxima family.  Yours look like cucurbita pepos.  For a giant pumpkin perhaps Dills Atlantic Giant or Sumo. 

For sensible size and very tasty eating and storing pumpkins perhaps Crown Prince or Uchiki Kuri aka Onion Squash, or Buttercup (the hybrid buttercup Bonbon F1 does superbly well by all accounts here on A4A).  For a nice sheltered sunny growing space also butternut (a cucurbita moschata), if you like them.

Indeed, you have grown nice pumpkins.  These are not sad at all, just not what you expected.  Have fun looking through the catalogues for other varieties.  There is so  much choice, you could get seriously hooked wanting to try them all.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal