Author Topic: Fibromyalgia - any gardening advise please  (Read 8367 times)

Greenqueen

• Not So New ...
Fibromyalgia - any gardening advise please
« on: September 14, 2010, 22:04:04 »
Hi

I have just joined the Site and have already chatted to some very friendly people.  So I feel I can ask for some advise on tools etc to assist me in tending to my allotment that is currently under construction.

I have Fibromyalgia which mean I am only able to use the allotment when I am free from a bad flare up,  I always need to pace myself and not overdo it.

I have been looking for a low stool that I can kneel on with handles to help me get up.

Would anybody know where I can get one?

Any advise would be very much appreciated. I really love being on the allotment and want to make it as pain free as possible.

Thank You in advance
Michelle.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Fibromyalgia - any gardening advise please
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 22:14:39 »
Hi ...

Check out this link....at least you can have a look. They are all different prices and styles.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=garden+kneelers&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=5673235569&ref=pd_sl_3j5fv2vnwi_b

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 22:18:56 »
have a look at this site, we have bought some tools from them with jumbo handles as I have arthritis in my fingers and elbows :)

Greenqueen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 22:34:14 »
Thanks Duke, I will have a look ;)

Hello again Manic, did you miss the link off? or are you referring to Duke's link?

Or is it just me being a bit thick ;D ;D

Thank you
Michelle

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:04:59 »
sorry, mad day  ::)
http://darlac.com/

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:57:09 »
Would it be more comfortable for you to sit to weed rather than kneel? I like my little tool box with wheels to sit on.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 13:27:46 »
Hi Greenqueen - I have the one that is no. 3 in Duke's link.  You can kneel, or turn it up the other way and sit, and it folds up for storage.  I wouldn't be without it!!
War on slugs and snails!!

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 19:43:39 »
Hi

I have just joined the Site and have already chatted to some very friendly people.  So I feel I can ask for some advise on tools etc to assist me in tending to my allotment that is currently under construction.

I have Fibromyalgia which mean I am only able to use the allotment when I am free from a bad flare up,  I always need to pace myself and not overdo it.

I have been looking for a low stool that I can kneel on with handles to help me get up.

Would anybody know where I can get one?

Any advise would be very much appreciated. I really love being on the allotment and want to make it as pain free as possible.

Thank You in advance
Michelle.

Just found this thread Michelle. I too suffer from Fibromyalgis/CFS. I`m a professional gardener and I find that as long as I manage the pain I can do my job quite well. Take your time while working, as soon as the pain or fatigue gets too bad then stop. There is always tomorrow. I always wear knee pads as I find kneeling better on the back than being sat down. Also, get a pair of ratchet secateurs if you have a lot of plants to prune, they are easier on the fingers and wrists. :)
DaiT

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
  • Whitwick/Thringstone, Leics
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 12:27:26 »
Hiya, from another fibro sufferer.

I find that a 'border' fork and spade doesn't jag the back and fibro as much as 'regular' sized. Though we're trying to turn over to all 'no dig' gardening now we've tamed most of our jungle.  ::)

ALWAYS keep warm enough! (especially around lower back and neck) if you're affected by the wind.

In the shed, a supply of instant coffee sachets (you'll be taking flasks with you I presume, or have a brew kit on site). I also have a warm blanket for when the neuro-fatigue hits.

In your gardening kit, enough painkillers to fell a small army, lol

have a great time in the 'Green Gym'.
Camo
Kill nothing, save it be helpful in death, or harmful in life! (Scartanore)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal