Author Topic: My pet chickens!  (Read 2594 times)

beanie3

• Half Acre
My pet chickens!
« on: September 14, 2010, 20:00:01 »
My pet chickens enjoying? the snow earlier this year!

beanie3

• Half Acre
Re: My pet chickens!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 20:01:11 »
not great photos i know - sorry - i think it was the freezing cold owner rather than the chickens!

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 20:28:21 »
I love chickens and one of my earliest memories is going with my grandad to feed his 'coopies';  this was at the end of the war when meat was rationed but we were never short of meat in our family because of grandad's chickens and frequently had 'chicken' for dinner, although I don't think I associated the lovely creatures which I loved to feed with what was on my plate!

Unfortunately not practical to have any on the allotments myself but my friend at the allotments has some and they are real characters and I still love feeding the chickens.

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 20:36:28 »
I let them have the run of the garden during winter as i have normally only got green manure growing - and during this time i am happy for them to poo and scratch away as much as they like - as it helps - and they just love it fresh ground for them to dig around in.

I have nine chickens and three i am babysitting for my dad to come and collect to go to a new home and they all have different characters - they are so funny to watch.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 19:06:28 »
Hi Beanie3
lovely pictures and chickens!

Ive got some sussex bantams in my garden just had them four weeks and cant wait to let them loose on the wider garden.

We often talk chickens on the kept animal thread to, see you there :)

x sunloving

gerkin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 20:15:46 »

heres our girls doing a spot of sunbathing
upminster essex ,come on you irons

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 07:32:07 »
Beautiful gerkin.

One extreme weather to the next.  I just love watching them having mudbaths.  Sadly my OH had to cull our last original rhode island red, she was not very well at all, we think its old age, we had them for about 4 years.  We have some bantums now but i hope to convince my OH to get some more POL rhodes in the spring - fingers crossed!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal