Author Topic: Broad beans again  (Read 2106 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Broad beans again
« on: December 20, 2004, 10:59:17 »
My broad beans have all germinated and some have now hit the top of their pickle jar cloches. Can I just remove the jars and leave the plants uncovered? Or do they need hardening off first? I don't really have time to remove all the jars in the morning before work and I don't get home until after dark.

Anything else I can do?
gone to pot :D

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re: Broad beans again
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 11:12:06 »
My allotment neighbours haven't bothered with any protection at all. But if you have used some protection, it may be with checking the forecast before you whip off the jars (cos now your plants will potentially be a little bit wimpy). But then again - you may need to get the jars off quickly if the plants are actually touching the glass. Do you have a bit of fleece you could pop over until this cold snap is over?

Sarah.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 11:14:36 »
Oh yes - fleece. I'll give that a go next time I can see the plants. It's too dark in my garden when I get home!
gone to pot :D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 21:42:18 »
All I did for the aqua dulce broadbeans is give them a wind shelter. Last year they got whipped by strong winds. This picture was taken last week, we already had some frost but they are doing just fine.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 23:01:03 »
Wow Ina they look fabulous!  You wouldn't think it was bleak midwinter!!  And I love your wind shield, what a great idea. :D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 16:04:28 »
Thanks EJ.
If the winter is not too harsh, we'll have the first broad beans on the block, fingers crossed.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 15:48:22 »
The only problem with fleece (assuming that it doesn't blow away!) is that it can flatten the beans.

If they are Aquadulce they shouldn't need protection - except if you suffer from the wind, like Ina  ;D

Phil

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 21:43:42 »
Update: they are still looking good, this picture was taken today, frosty 26 dec.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal