Author Topic: splitting plots  (Read 2826 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
splitting plots
« on: September 19, 2010, 11:16:40 »
Hi Folks
we have a few plotholders that will be reducing the size of their plots once this growing season is over, or when they have harvested all their produce from the half they are relinquishing. This is as a result of struggling to manage the whole plots over the last couple of years and is their own idea,although i have gently suggested it.
both the plots are pretty overgrown,one has carpets on,with weeds etc growing through it,brambles gone wild etc etc...do you think its reasonable for them to be expected to clear the half they are giving up before we reallocate?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: splitting plots
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:19:09 »
They have struggled to cultivate their whole plots so I suggest they will struggling to clear up what they could not do in the first place.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

:(

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:31:50 »
If they cant cope they cant cope. Let the halfs as they are and let the new tenants do the clearing.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:06:20 »
As someone who gave up half my plot earlier this year for the same reason, I agree with weequinie and Fork. Better that they admit they can't cope and give someone else the chance of a plot. If they've left a lot of rubbish it might be a different matter, but if it's just lack of cultivation let the new people do it- that way they will find out quickly whether THEY can cope!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:32:11 »
The first plot I had was where someone else had given up half their plot.
It had black plastic with holes with well rooted brambles growing through, rotting carpets, and lots of other horrible things to clear.

It was a lot of work clearing the plot, but as the other half still has some black plastic and carpet left on it to this day, so if I was expecting the other tenant to clear it in advance I would still be waiting.

So I agree with the other posts, just let them as they are.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:37:36 »
I agree as well if people are able to clear their unused bit then using it would be no problem.  Even with a bit of a mess they may not be as bad as some of the jungles we have been hearing about.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 12:59:01 »
That's what we've been doing for the past two years. I let them give up the "wild" half so that they can get to grips with the the rest. And the newcomer gets the plot "as is" - allotments involve hard manual work and if they expect the plot to be ready to plant, they're probably not going to be able to make a go of it.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 13:15:52 »
This is no fun- we're all in agreement! ;)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 13:21:21 »
If somebody really does want land to grow their own then they should be happy to recieve anything...overgrown with brambles or not.I know it will be hard work but then again they will be able to fashion the plot just as they like and then reap the rewards.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 14:12:52 »
We took over a half plot nearly 2 years ago for the same reason, the chap couldn't cope. We were just glad to get it in whatever state it was in. We cleared 200 rubble bags to the tip but we honestly didn't mind.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 17:59:26 »
thanks guys,just wanted to see if you agreed with my original thoughts. i do think however,that the plotholders do need to let the new people on ASAP
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 20:08:14 »
I've just asked the counciil to split mine. Just too much for me to cope with since i gave up the chickens. I hope the council don't drag their feet or the new tenant will have more work. No way would i clear it for the new tenant.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal