Author Topic: toms blight question  (Read 4237 times)

kymrob

• Half Acre
toms blight question
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:55:25 »
toms have blight i have dug them up now what about soil? i was hoping to move my strawberries there would this be wise?  ???

betula

• Hectare
Re: toms blight question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:04:21 »
Toms and spuds are mainly affected by Blight so I think they will be ok,dig the soil well and remove all weeds  :)

:(

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:18:28 »
I think its not recommended to plant strawberries where potatoes tomatoes peppers or aubergines have been because they may transmit verticillium wilt to the strawbs.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:41:24 »
Kymrob...relax...yes, you can plant your strawberries after tomatoes..if they were affected by blight that will not have effect to strawberries..
..but like Betula said...try to do as thorough job as you can with weeds..as weeding anything perennial from amongst the strawberries will be pain in the a.. :o
As for verticillium wilt..
Code: [Select]
I think its not recommended to plant strawberries where potatoes tomatoes peppers or aubergines have been because they may transmit verticillium wilt to the strawbs.
.that can hit your plants even without any previous crops..and there is nothing you can do about it..
In ideal world yes/propably good idea..but most of us would run out of room if trying always to avoid all possibilities..and if the previous crop did not show any signs of this disease..what is there to whittle about..?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:51:37 by goodlife »

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 12:56:27 »
The fungus lives on the roots of potatoes tomatoes etc so the disease wont necessarily be obvious unless the plants have been overwhelmed. Strawberry beds need to be renewed to a fairly predictable frequency so its perfectly possible to plan ahead to keep hosts out of a new bed. I dont see the point of spending money on new stock and exposing it (and the future crop) to a risk that can be avoided. The RHS doesnt think its worth the risk either:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Fruit-A-to-Z/Strawberries

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 13:03:19 »
well thanks for replys! just weighing up what to do i could remove and replace the soil would that help if not will have to put them somewhere else.

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 13:11:37 »
Replacing the soil would help. I read a paper that suggested that 98% of the pathogen is contained in the top 30cm of soil.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 13:17:48 »
just weighing up what to do i could remove and replace the soil would that help if not will have to put them somewhere else.Yes..it is all down to you..but replacement of the soil is a big task..and who says that you would not bring it in with new soil..or the spores could be in the compost you made..
If I would be in your situation..wondering what to do...well one option that could help to minimize the risk is that you could plant your strawberries into bigger pots for to grow on for now..mean while you can consentrate for making the soil better by digging in good stuff, weeding etc. and maybe giving the soil then a rest a month or so. I would be tempted to sow some greenmanure..there is still time..and then dig this in while still small..and then, before the winter kick in,, plant the strawberries ;)
Just something to think about.. ;)

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 13:25:12 »
Green manure isnt a good idea.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 13:31:27 »
Green manure isnt a good idea.Ok...I hear you..and I do wonder what makes you say that. If the soil is kept 'busy'..or 'working' it is a good thing...soil is living thing that is good to be kept fed. As well as 'feeding' the soil with greenmanure it can also be good indicator for problems too...not necessary on this case..
Im really interested to hear why not?

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 13:35:13 »
The pathogen can survive on the roots of non-susceptible species.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 14:07:09 »
We are all doomed I tell you........doomed ;D ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 14:13:24 »
Ok...yes you are right..it can..but I do think this is all a bit 'if, may & can'....
Change of any VW is there..but as much it is chance popping up anywhere..and like I already mentioned it could come to situ with the changed soil...VW can affect many other plants too, not only toms..some weeds can play host...it may spread on tools, shoes etc..
By keeping the soil 'busy' the chance is lesser. Often in plots where crops are grown in monoculture way..no companions,underplanting etc... in those situations these kind of problems become highlighted..
I do grow potatoes side by side with strawberries without problems..even one after another... ::)
In ideal world we would do many things differently but life is too short to follow RHS instructions by the 'book'...yes..generally their info is to be followed but they are not the only way..and we don't always have the means to do like they instruct. And who says that if it would be in soil that it would not survive within next crop...
Suggestion for greenmanuring was to be making soil better...as the strawberries are going to be long in ground, one cannot do enough improvements..only to try... ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 14:17:02 »
I'll volunteer to be the first one....

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 14:19:12 »

Ive just lost my entire 8 foot by 12 foot strawberry bed to the disease so Id agree with you.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 14:46:31 »
Ahh...that explains....I'm being nosy now..but how old is your strawberry bed?...what did you have growing there before them? Have you suffered with VW before? Have you used straw, home made compost on that part?..etc..etc...

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 14:56:43 »
I dont know what you think it explains. Losing my bed has made me take an interest in finding out more about what Id always considered like you to be a purely theoretical risk to be dismissed as not important. Ive found out the hard way that the RHS and all the others like them do actually know what theyre talking about. There are hundreds of scientific studies/papers out there that back up the advice. Take it or leave it.

Good luck with your bed kymrob. Ill be making a new bed too.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 15:17:43 »
Yes it is theoretical risk and may well effect some of us one day..but many of us have grown strawberries in not so ideal way for 'donkies years' and not have problems with it.
Oh, I'm sure there is plenty of scientific data to back what ever needs backing up...and I do read some of them with great interest too...some I take some I leave...
I was just being interested why you are so adamant with your posts...so your losses does explains it..but It would be nice to sometimes have 'talk' about facts without having to receive stroppy lines from you.
It would have been interesting to find out in your case what might have brought it in..caused it..so we all could learn from you..you see, you are in position now to give first hand information with experience to back it up..and not just repeating others written words.

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 16:08:40 »
If you want you can interpret offering an opinion different to yours as adamant and/or stroppy. I dont think thats helpful. My experience is just that, the experience of one person. It happens to be consistent with the science which advises not planting strawberries after solanaceae. Like I said take it or leave it.

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 16:55:19 »
thanks for all advice! think im gonna replace soil as i have plenty of  it up lottie where just flowers have  been!  then just hope for the best!
now would it best to move them now or wait till next year march/april

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal