Author Topic: I'm a 'foster mum' to two day old chicks  (Read 2191 times)

lavenderlux

• Acre
I'm a 'foster mum' to two day old chicks
« on: July 14, 2010, 22:10:35 »
My lottie neighbour had three broody hens sitting on eggs - all in the same nesting area.  Yesterday evening ten of the eggs hatched and two of the mums left the nest to look after them.  Eight of the chicks are white/yellow but the other two are 'mixed' colouring and both hens are rejecting these two and pecking them;  my neighbour is off on holiday this evening (someone is going to feed and look after the chickens for her) and she was going to let these two rejected chicks stay in the pen and 'take their chance' but to my way of thinking they had no chance, so she's loaned me a brooder and these little chicks are now in my kitchen, cuddled up to an old soft teddy bear!

betula

• Hectare
Re: I'm a 'foster mum' to two day old chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 22:32:34 »
Oh best of luck with them  ;D

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 15:53:34 »
My two chicks are doing well, eating and drinking and preening themselves;  unfortunately the eight left with the two 'mums' yesterday are down to six.  The other broody hen is still sitting

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 17:07:12 »
How cool - soooooooo jealous

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 17:35:24 »
Hiya,

I've got my second hatch of the year at home at the moment, they're a week old and already peep very loudly when mummy hen (ie my hand) isn't visible to them.

Just wait a few weeks when they can scratch the bedding out of the cage, jump and fly!

Jon

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 17:28:31 »
Well my babes are two weeks old today and doing well; they have been joined by another chick from the same clutch as this one somehow kept escaping from the pen (no one could find out where) and there was a danger the fox would get it - we were putting it back three or more times a day and it was definitely this one which was escaping as since bringing it home none have been outside the pen.  Think my two original chicks are hens (great) but that the additional one is a male - not so good.  Dad to all is a Silkie - the mum could be either a Silkie or a half Silkie breed.
My friend will be home on Thursday so I'll have to say goodbye to them then, as they are big enough to go into a run.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 17:34:08 »
What a lovely experience for you :).

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:26 »
Well my three babes are all doing very well - they are in a pen on their own at the moment and will be introduced to the main 'flock' when they are a bit bigger.  Sadly of those left with the two mums only one has survived.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal