Author Topic: Giant leylandii in suburban front garden incense neighbours  (Read 1819 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
i don't belive death is the end

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Giant leylandii in suburban front garden incense neighbours
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 15:00:19 »
 I saw this in the paper today, is the man crazy, or just likes to annoy his poor neighbours?.
Where are the authorities in all this, do they not care about other people for goodness sake.
He also built a 12ft wall all around his house, perhaps someone should get him some help.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 15:07:58 »
brings new meaning to having a tree house ;D

But do feel sorry for his neighbours.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 15:40:55 »
wow thats incredible! what a paranoid man. cant belive theyve only just compalianed!

One day i hope that my giant echium in the front will be a nucience to someone as they never reach the 12ft tall that they would if they grew somewhere warm!! oh well had a hollyhock this year reach 9ft!! onwards and upwards!!

x sunloving

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 16:13:30 »
My first next door nieghbours (39years ago) planted 21 of the things in a very small garden. fortunatly they didn't stay long and each change saw more being got rid of. I was quite sorry to see the last one go as it was well away from my side and the birds liked it (nimby) ;D ;D
before someone wonders why my nieghbours don't stay can I add that they were basic starter homes that we happend to stay in
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 17:48:11 »
The old geezer is a pain in the arse, I'd have cut it back over the years if I'd lived next door to that thingy.  :( :( :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 18:29:41 »
I see trees in a front garden, but I don't see the problem.  How is it any business of the nosey neighbours?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

gypsy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 20:13:42 »
What you don't see is the roots. They can wreck the drainage pipes and cause subsidence.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 23:25:26 »
When we first moved here in 1973 we planted a Leylandii hedge on one of our borders.  At the time we were both out at work, and had difficulty maintaining the shrubs.  As a consequence of which they grew very tall - 35ft+.

We decided to have them removed and have a 6ft high wooden fence in their place.  The next door garden must have been in shade for most of the year, ie never got much sunlight.

You cannot imagine our surprise when the neighbour in question told us off for 'not asking their permission for removing our hedge'.  We thought we would be doing them a favour, ie allowing a bit of sunlight into their garden.  Apparently, they didn't want to be overlooked. ::) ::)

There's nowt so queer as folk. ??? ???

valmarg

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 07:52:35 »
We had a lucky escape here. One of the reasons we came was because it backs west. At the bottom of our garden we have the local council plant nurseries. I saw them planting the dreaded leilandi across our back fence and asked them to remove them which they did. The ones that stayed (next door) are already at least 18' tall and that's in 7 years.  :o
Smile, it confuses people.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 11:37:11 »
The trouble is which way the houses face. You may find the next door neighbours have no sunlight and a very dark and gloomy front room and bedroom. There really is no need for them to be that high - a 6ft section around the edge of the front garden would be enough to ensure he wasn't overlooked. Must say though, I do wonder why on earth the poor fellow is so desperate for this level of privacy.

Must confess that I'm not a fan of conifers in general anyway, and leylandii, in my opinion, should be on some sort of banned list unless you live in the country and need a windbreak hedge!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal