Author Topic: which bed/mattress  (Read 2183 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
which bed/mattress
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:02:46 »
My son has asked me to get him a new bed (he does work long hours).   The only criteria is a memory foam mattress.   I enquired at the local reputable furniture store and they start at about £1000.   Then I popped into an ex catalogue place and they are selling them at about £4-500.   I know you get what you pay for but these days prices for the same things vary so much.  2 years ago I bought a picture from John Lewis for £350 and last week I saw it in Tmax for £70.  So where would you buy a bed from buy a bed from?    Help please.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: which bed/mattress
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:21:05 »
i use my local bed dealer, you get the chance to barter and get some money off :D.
i got a king size silentnight bed with 10" memory foam mattress and memory foam pillows for £600 saving £500 off the shop price.
The only downside of the memory foam i find is that they are quite warm on hot days but perfect in the winter months.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 13:26:32 »
We looked into them when we needed a new mattress & that's what OH found on Which. I hate being hot in bed & usually stick my leg out to cool down. We had bought a wooden base previously so would only need mattresses in the future. Mattress from Argos & they do some good bed deals. We got a no turn mattress.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 18:50:16 »
Now this is off the top of my head because I go to any of the sales pitches if they offer me something for doing so. Then I research what they tell me.

I went to one of those sales pitches about this memory foam stuff (the sort used by astronauts) and it seems that if you have got a perfectly good mattress you can stick a thin one on top.

A reasonable 'firm' mattress will do. With a cheap memory foam mattress on top. £12.50 at local markets around here. Pillows £2.50 extra.

Now speaking for myself, I can sleep on absolutely anything even a floor, chair or settee and wake up feeling wonderful. Less so if I have had too much to drink, more so, if I have had just a little tipple.

Unless your dearly loved has a muscular or rheumatic complaint, the fact is, about sleeping. It is all in the mind and it does not matter if they are sleeping on a floor with a sleeping bag or a magnificent waterbed or anything else. The physical condition is not the problem..... Relaxation is.

Spending a fortune on a mattress is not the answer. It is.....Yes I am being harsh.....I offer no apology for being blunt .......... it is all down to sorting out the cause of the insomnia.

I am an OAP and sleep in all sorts of places. I do like a nice soft bed best but if it is not available, anything will do.

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 19:15:09 »
I bought a memory foam mattress at the beginning of the year and to be honest I would not buy another. 

As per the other posts you do get very hot at night and I have also found that the mattress does not return back to its shape as I have a clear dent in mine now were I must spleep the most.

As for a topper?? I did some research before I purchasing and it said that you need to take into account how much you weigh as this determines the thickness of memory foam you require??

I dont know about anyone else, but I like to turn my matress and with a memory foam you cant.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 19:17:52 »
we bought a memory foam mattress from an ex catalogue shop 3 years ago, best thing we've ever bought, I can now sleep whereas before,everything ached  ;D
can't help with the bed, Ray built me a 4 poster for our 25th anniversary  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 22:07:18 »
How romantic Manics & what a clever boy. Do you loan him out ;D.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 22:11:01 »
We got a really good named topper from Matalan of all places when they had an offer on. Excellent bit of kit as I do tend to pile on the weight in the winter and the old lady ain't exactly dainty.

We get a really good nights sleep and it seems to keep cool, as you must know we get better temperatures down here, which can give us a few sticky nights but not a problem with the old topper on. There was a drawback to start with as the topper slipped down the bed a bit. But a bit of velcro stuck on the cover cured that.

Got an elephant in jim jams as a logo and about £50 for a kingsize. We will get a couple of singles for the gypsy wagon when we see them on offer again.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 22:41:42 »
We haven't got memory foam ,we've got a "feather bed"which is like a feather duvet between the mattress and bottom sheet.It's wonderful like sleeping on a giant marshmallow and not hot or cold just comfy :)
sanity is overated

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 23:25:28 »
For years I've had a generally problematic back. Just that sort of 'hard to get going in the morning' back where I needed to stretch before doing anything. I finally decided to try out a memory foam. Mindful of the possibility of it being too warm, I bought this http://www.memoryfoamwarehouse.co.uk/products/Double-Classic-Ultra-Memory-Foam-Mattress-with-Coolmax.html

The first morning I awoke without the slightest pain in my back for the first time in years. It took a few more nights before I was convinced that it wasn't a fluke but it was the best money I've ever spent.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 01:37:50 »
regarding memory foam.. I bought  a thick one in the UK, it seemed a very good price but after only a few weeks there was a dip in it an the foam never went bounced back as it should,I gave up on it and we decided to cut it down to put on a smaller guest bed. Having got the brocade cover off we were astonished to find it was 1" memory foam and the rest was regular cheap foam.

When we got back here we bought  very expensive regular foam mattress with a 2 ' memory foam top surface, the bed was  very good quality and the foam did not dip.. however..the surface was not soft enough for me so we bought a top of the line memory foam 4 inch thick mattress to go on top with no cover. This incredible, it bounces back, is  extremely comfortable, and it is not hot..I have a problem tith heat in bed, I have a thin cotton quilt under my Cotton sheet and it stays cool

We also bought a cheaper memory foam..mid price range , for a sofa bed ..but the quality compared to the one on my regular bed is not the same..It is good but  not top of the lien.

My point is I have now had three memory foam mattresses, a cheapie, a mid price , and a top of the line one and each different from the others so my advice is to shop around and compare, ask to see and feel a sample of the mattress.. there is obviously several grades.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:29:50 »
How romantic Manics & what a clever boy. Do you loan him out ;D.
that was nearly 15 years ago, janet, when his knees and back worked, made it from canadian pine planks..any way
we were so impressed with the mattress, we bought a topper for the caravan, I take it with me if we go to stay with relatives for a length of time, same as my mf pillows..works well for me  ;D

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:06 »
Thanks for replies.  I am studying them all.   LIke the sound of toppers for my quest room.
For years I've had a generally problematic back. Just that sort of 'hard to get going in the morning' back where I needed to stretch before doing anything. I finally decided to try out a memory foam. Mindful of the possibility of it being too warm, I bought this http://www.memoryfoamwarehouse.co.uk/products/Double-Classic-Ultra-Memory-Foam-Mattress-with-Coolmax.html

The first morning I awoke without the slightest pain in my back for the first time in years. It took a few more nights before I was convinced that it wasn't a fluke but it was the best money I've ever spent.
Very intterested in this site.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 10:26:00 »
Now this is off the top of my head because I go to any of the sales pitches if they offer me something for doing so. Then I research what they tell me.

I went to one of those sales pitches about this memory foam stuff (the sort used by astronauts) and it seems that if you have got a perfectly good mattress you can stick a thin one on top.

A reasonable 'firm' mattress will do. With a cheap memory foam mattress on top. £12.50 at local markets around here. Pillows £2.50 extra.

Now speaking for myself, I can sleep on absolutely anything even a floor, chair or settee and wake up feeling wonderful. Less so if I have had too much to drink, more so, if I have had just a little tipple.

Unless your dearly loved has a muscular or rheumatic complaint, the fact is, about sleeping. It is all in the mind and it does not matter if they are sleeping on a floor with a sleeping bag or a magnificent waterbed or anything else. The physical condition is not the problem..... Relaxation is.

Spending a fortune on a mattress is not the answer. It is.....Yes I am being harsh.....I offer no apology for being blunt .......... it is all down to sorting out the cause of the insomnia.

I am an OAP and sleep in all sorts of places. I do like a nice soft bed best but if it is not available, anything will do.

Congratulations on your ability to sleep on anything.

rooja

• Visco memory foam mattresses
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 15:51:32 »
I've been selling beds and mattresses for a while now. I used to sleep on a latex mattress and was dismissive of memory foam mattresses. However after a change of home, I got a memory foam mattress at the beginning of the year and think it's great.

I had heard all sorts of horror stories about them being hot but I find it ok.

I think that you shouldn't have too much memory foam on the top of the foam base as it's important that you don't sink in too far. I never thought I'd say this, it seems to suit me better than latex and it used to be my view that latex was much better than a sprung mattress.

:)

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 22:16:30 »
We brought ourselves a new mattress a few months back (ordinary sprung orthopaedic jobby). The lady in the shop was of the opinion that you either love memory foam or you hate it. My mum and dad have one which they love, but mum does say that you tend to sink into theirs more in the summer as it reacts to your body heat. Personally, she doesn't mind that, but I'd hate it. Get very hot in bed & don't want to sink further and further!

There are some half way houses where you get toppers or layers on top of an ordinary mattress, like Jeannine's, but we tried these in the shop and didn't like them either!

It's such a personal thing as to what you find comfy. I presume he's tried out a few memory foam ones so he knows he's going to like it?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal