Author Topic: yellow raspberries - anybody grow Autumn Gold  (Read 7954 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
yellow raspberries - anybody grow Autumn Gold
« on: September 05, 2010, 13:40:44 »
Has anybody grown these yellow rsapberries?  just wondering if they how they faired before buying 6 dozen canes.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit1/product/cww3205/1.html

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 13:42:39 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: yellow raspberries - anybody grow Autumn Gold
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 14:04:13 »
I bought one from Wilkonsons last year. This year I moved it and divided it into 5 but did not get any fruit. All my rasberries done rubbish but hopefully they will be better next year.

Neil

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 14:08:50 »
I would never buy from them-I have yet to win the lottery.

But I have tasted yellow raspberries. On a trip with my late,dear,friend Sarah to Barnsdale.

No idea of the variety but it was a suprise-yellow fruit tasting like a raspberry

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 14:15:14 »
They do well - very robust.

I'm very neglectful of my fruit, never water, leave the weeds til they're nearly suffocated.

Out of the 3 varieties I have this is the only one that's cropped this year.

They're lovely, but I do think Autumn bliss has a slight edge over them size and flavour wise.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 16:02:21 »
I got my mate to blind taste  and she could the difference between red and yellow ,there is a slight apricot after taste to the Autumn gold  and they are bound to be the next 'super food'.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 18:13:05 »
I inherited some Autumn Gold (label still attached) a couple of years ago and I am very pleased with them. Large, soft, sweet fruit, very productive for a long time. I can't say if they are "better" than other raspberries but a mixture of red and yellow looks attractive in a bowl - I have also bought a "black" raspberry, which won't produce anything until next summer.

One small problem with Autumn Gold is that the pale colour shows up any slight blemish, more than the red ones do, perhaps because the fruit is so soft and juicy.

I am trying Joan J this year - enormous firm fruit. I have learned to wait until a berry is really dark red all over, when it is softer and sweeter.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 19:14:46 »
They taste very similar to Autumn Bliss, but any raspberry beetle damage is very visible.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 19:21:18 »
I grew Autumn Gold (in the USA) and after giving them many too many years, pulled them all out because they had no flavor. Maybe it was the strain sold here since some of you give it wonderful ratings. I even moved some shoots to a different part of our yard hoping it was location. I've replaced them with Heritage which are doing well for us.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 19:38:23 »
Hmm...sounds like I'm the only one who has resulted to dig my Autumn Gold up as I wasn't happy about them...yes they did crop ok..as a quantity..but as for flavour...I found them a bit bland. And I found them being more good weather dependant than 'box standard' ones. If we had wet weather (like we've had last few summer part this year ::)) fruit would go mouldy very quickly and the they did not sweeten up unless being exposed into full sun. I found this variety growing even more rampant than 'normal' ones.
So after 4yrs I finally dug all up last winter but I'm still digging some new growth up that is popping up "miles" away from the original bed ::)One other reason did irritate me with the fruit..some came off as nice, big and firm and others just broke into peaces as soon as you touched them..there were always lots on ground. At the time I bought my canes from two different suppliers. If that was the reason for the fruit being so inconsistent..who knows..but as a variety It should be the same where ever it comes from..

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 19:57:15 »
I too dug up my Autumn gold...had them alongside Joan j  and there is no comparison.... Joan j every time

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 23:27:40 »
Got to echo what he last 3 posts say, maybe it's the soil, I dunno, but theres no comparison in taste between Autumn gold and Joan J raspberries, Joan J wins every time. And the Autumn gold do seem very vigorous too, its a pity. I'm on heavy clay soil.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 01:41:58 »
Got to echo what he last 3 posts say, maybe it's the soil, I dunno, but theres no comparison in taste between Autumn gold and Joan J raspberries, Joan J wins every time. And the Autumn gold do seem very vigorous too, its a pity. I'm on heavy clay soil.
Ours were very vigorous growers also with lots and lots of firm berries. Just no sweetness or flavor ???
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 08:01:18 »
We have a row of them, and they're OK, but nothing wonderful.  I agree with others that they're a bit bland, and on our lottie at least, the size of the crop isn't huge.  They do have a prolonged fruiting period, though, which is an advantage.

But overall, I wouldn't plant them again.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:11:23 »
I agree, I would never plant a row of them, but the three plants I do have are well worth having at one end of a row of raspberries. I like the mixture.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 09:24:06 »
We have a 10' X 10' bed of them.

This year they are pants with very small fruit and the fruit breaks up too often on picking.

Last year with the very wet summer we had they were great - and better than the Joan J and Polka.  We made ice cream with all the types and the judgement of all who tried them was that the Autumn Gold was the nicest.

Having said all that they have until next year to return a decent product or they will go!
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 13:44:29 »
So the jury is out.  50 / 50 split at the moment.  Three canes are to go with a red raspberry too.  (I will put the red raspberry request in a new thread)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 16:17:31 »
My yellow raspberries are either Allgold or Fallgold (can't remember which) and I'm in the process of digging them out because their flavour consistently compares unfavourably with my Autumn Bliss. Like others, I've experienced fruits breaking up or going mouldy very quickly.

On the other hand, I find that yellow raspberries are far less sharp than a typical raspberry flavour and they therefore need less sugar.

For the record, here in Hampshire, my Autumn Bliss have been going strong for about seven years and they didn't succumb to a virus when the Glen Ample planted next to them did. They've just started cropping and I expect them to continue right into November.

Sorry I can't help you with the varieties you mention, kt. Hope someone else can...  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal