Author Topic: marrow rum  (Read 4078 times)

ginger james

• Not So New ...
  • are we nearly there yet
marrow rum
« on: September 05, 2010, 22:10:57 »
sorry for being thick but after cleanig out said marrow an adding sugar at what point does this turn into alcohol an how?  please some one point this out to me please
thought i saw the light at the end off the tunnel but it was only some bleep with a torch bringin me some more work

Hoe Hoe

Re: marrow rum
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 23:47:50 »
...at what point does this turn into alcohol...

It doesn't  :( .

This traditional recipe you're employing is completely fallacious.  Rum can only be made through the process of fermenting the sugars in whatever source material is being used and then distilling it.  Distillation of alcohol is, of course, illegal unless HMRC is invited to the party.

ginger james

• Not So New ...
  • are we nearly there yet
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 22:52:07 »
ok now it is very clear that i do not know what im doing
thought i saw the light at the end off the tunnel but it was only some bleep with a torch bringin me some more work

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 18:58:22 »
Take thee a marrow of goodly size-scrape from it all seed and matter not of smooth flesh.

Apply in good measure sugar and let it hang from the new moon until the next full moon

Or just don`t bother-some of these old recipes are nonsense-including the one I just made up

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 09:58:36 »
I tried to make this once and the marrow just rotted. A friend laughed at my attempt and said when he was working in India (I think - somewhere hot, anyway) various gourds were used to make alcohol in the same way, left hanging in the sun to encourage fermentation. He said the results were disgusting whoever made it, and you had to be desperate to drink it....

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:02:01 »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:13:00 »
I am rather surprised that you do not seem to have to add yeast.  Yeasts will arrive from the air but you have no control over it.  The addition of a pair of well worn socks to the mix might speed things up a bit.   ;D ;D

I would expect to add a wine or beer yeast to the mix or even a specific rum yeast amd keep the air out.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:46:27 »
This one comes along every year some poor soul finds and tries the recipe.

I have heard of people who claim it works and makes a liquor type drink but it is no more 'rum' than elderflower champagne is the real thing.  Most who have made the attempt say that it is not just a waste of several pounds of demerara sugar and time, it also makes a sticky mess which takes even more time to clean up.

The marrow has a high percentage of water so if you have a juice extractor, put the marrow through that and mix the juice with brown sugar and try to ferment it with a yeast.

Pure alcohol does not freeze. To test how strong a home brew is,  put a measured amount in the freezer over night then in the morning measure the unfrozen liquid on top and work out the percentage and it will tell you how strong the brew is. It spoils the taste and will be totally unfit to drink,  so only freeze a small amount.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 08:16:55 »
Buy a bottle of rum and a marrow

Cut the top off the marrow

Take out the seeds and throw them away

Take the rest of the marrow and throw it away

Drink the rum

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal