Author Topic: BEETROOT RECIPES  (Read 9658 times)

NICI

• Not So New ...
BEETROOT RECIPES
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:53:57 »
Hi Everyone
Have loads of beetroot so any recipes would be most grateful
THANKS

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: BEETROOT RECIPES
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 14:07:39 »
If you put beetroot recipe in search there will be something there for you to be getting on with ;)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 18:13:10 »
You don't need to panic to get them all used up straight away. They'll store very well in sand or peat.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 19:39:26 »
Hi
cook as normal and stick them in the freezer
I done this with last years glut have just took the last box out last week  room for this years lot ;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:39:17 »
Hi
I done this with last years glut have just took the last box out last week  room for this years lot ;)

What is "as normal", please?

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 19:09:42 »
Try slicing thinly, coat with a savoury batter and deep frying.
or) Slice thinly and saute in garlic and herb butter.

just 2 of my favorite recipes.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 19:30:08 »
Peel. then slice paper thin, deep fry for a little while, drain on paper towel,cool and sprinkle with salt, make super crisps. Works great with sweet potato, carrot and parsnips too.

Cubed and preserved into Harvard Beets is a great change from the usual pickled ones.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 17:34:24 »
Hi

What is "as normal", please?

All i do is wash top and tail boil till soft like boiling potatoes then skin them slice and freeze..

Sorry for the late reply been busy with my new additions to the family 3 chooks

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 18:18:08 »
I've found a new-to-me (old-hat to others, I'm sure) way of using them and I LOVE it.

First I wash them & put them in a foil parcel, roots'n'most of the tops'n'all, so they don't bleed. Bake them in a low oven for ?? however long it takes - for mine, not super- huge, it was gas mk3 for an hr or so...

Then peeled them. Then, that day or the next, whatever, 'roasted' them in the oven with o/oil, salt & thyme, cos I really fancied that hint of thyme..

Revelation! I'd only ever known them pickled in vinegar before ::)

Lishka x

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 18:46:28 »
Roast them or boil them till cooked, skin them. Then make a honey & mustard vinagrette. cube the beetroot and toss in the vinagrette whilst still warm, allow to cool, then  put into individual serving bowls and then crumble some good feta cheese over the top. finish off with some black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and serve with those really nice sunflower seed ciabatta rolls from sainsburys.

Oh glass of rose goes well with this.

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:00:14 »
I tried the beetroot dip recipe that someone posted a couple of week ago and it was really nice - roast beetroots, pureethen and add a teaspoon of tahini for every couple of beetroots and some mint.  I added some salt and pepper and a spoonful of yougurt because i had some to hand and it was lovely with pitta bread. 

I have frozen some pureed beetroot and will try making the dip with it to see if this is a viable way of getting the dip in winter - wasn't sure about freezing tahini so I will add it after defrosting the beetroot.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 08:27:42 »
beetroot, apple and spud mash  8) a fantastic pink delight and best with pork or chicken

I always bake my beetroot in the Aga, slow with butter and I use a lovely terracotta dish that was bought as a present, it is actually a garlic roaster and doubles as a tortilla warmer - lovely and perfick for baking beetroot  :)

baked beetroot then sliced into creme fraiche is divine as well

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 17:37:44 »
ooo some great suggestions there! I'm going to try some the Hyacinth way this weekend for some friends  :) But I like the idea of the addition of a glass of rose (for the cook)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 18:41:29 »
I had a fantastic beetroot chocolate cake in cafe at the eden project....if anybody has a really good recipe for beetroot chocolate cake I would be delighted.....tried and tested one there are lots around and some are not so good!

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 19:18:49 »
I have orders put in from my friends at work to make this one again this year. Very nice if i do say so myself.

Beetroot, Apple and Onion Chutney

1 lb. cooked and peeled beetroot, cold (about 1 cm. square)
1 lb. (after peeling and coring) cooking apples
1/2 lb. onions
1/2 lb. soft brown sugar
1/4 pint malt vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Chop apples and onions quite small (1 cm. square) and put into a pan with the vinegar and sugar. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar is quite dissolved then simmer gently until thick and soft. Season and remove from the heat. Leave to cool for 5 minutes and then add the chopped beetroot and stir really well.

Put into sterilised jars, cover with jam pot covers and secure tightly when cool. Try to use plastic lined lids as the vinegar reacts with the metal ones and can cause the chutney to taste awful.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 08:18:36 »
I had a fantastic beetroot chocolate cake in cafe at the eden project....if anybody has a really good recipe for beetroot chocolate cake I would be delighted.....tried and tested one there are lots around and some are not so good!

I made nigel slaters recipe and it was good!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/6222618/Nigel-Slater-recipe-an-extremely-moist-chocolate-beetroot-cake-with-creme-fraiche-and-poppy-seeds.html

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 15:20:01 »
I've found a new-to-me (old-hat to others, I'm sure) way of using them and I LOVE it.

First I wash them & put them in a foil parcel, roots'n'most of the tops'n'all, so they don't bleed. Bake them in a low oven for ?? however long it takes - for mine, not super- huge, it was gas mk3 for an hr or so...

Then peeled them. Then, that day or the next, whatever, 'roasted' them in the oven with o/oil, salt & thyme, cos I really fancied that hint of thyme..

Revelation! I'd only ever known them pickled in vinegar before ::)

Lishka x

Hyacinth - well get out the bubbly and celebrate. Cooked these last night for friends, managed to get Mr 1066 to try some, and miracle of miracles, he liked them. this is a 1st. Always hated them, but said they were sweet and tasty  ::)  ::)  ::) After picking myself up off the floor in shock I had to have a glass or 2 just to calm me down  ;)

Thanks for posting the recipe  8)

1066  :)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 16:06:23 »
Also good raw.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 16:18:58 »
Beetroot is good cut into chunks and baked with cream and horseradish and optional cheese topping to eat as a vegetarian dish or serve with fish.   Vegetarians can add butter beans for extra interest.

It's also good peeled and cut into wedges and cooked with onions, optional garlic , tinned tomatoes and spiced with cumin and a bit of chilli as per Madhur Jaffery's recipe in her first BBC series in the eighties.

Washed, topped and tailed, the young beets -  between golf and tennis ball size - are lovely wrapped in a foil parcel with garlic, herbs and a bit of olive oil then baked till tender.

Borscht is a traditional eastern European soup made with beetroot and is delicious.  There are loads of variations from rusic to high dining.

It's also good cooked and sliced or garted for salads and served with a decent vinagrette.

I love beetroot in many ways, except pickled which I loathe.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 16:20:50 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 19:41:54 »
Made these for my son to take back to school with him (with nut warning) and apparently they've gone down brilliantly: http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/wash/in:recipes/chocolate-beetroot-brownies/.
I had a little taste of one before he went - deelish.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal