Author Topic: This years challenge .Growing your own scarecrow...CarolineJ versus Jeannine  (Read 3838 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Well, on checking the net I see 1066 is correct on both counts, Lava bread is used as a feed early on, the heat produces great results apparently. This is followed by indeed Bara Brith although I have read Pice Ar Y Maen can be substituted.

Jeannine may well be able to collect and make her own 'Lava' bread but I fear your Dragon's fire will be of a vastly inferior quality to that which is produced in the fire pit caves beneath the great Blue stones, which I feel Caroline will likely use. So even though you have the lights, bear poo, better climate and the not to be mentioned secret weapon in undergarments, I'm backing Caroline solely on the quality of native Dragon's fire. I will be intrested to read what tricks she may have up her sleeve.

Is it possible for you both to post a picture when you start? just so we can follow the process better, I'm keen to learn more of this ancient art of scarecrow growing. If Kepouros is joining in with a more reliable propagated form it may prove a more interesting experiment and we will be able to follow the two methods and compare development.

One thing I came across is the international treaty for scarecrow growing dated 1732 which is still in force today although updated and amened in 2007  to encompass modern day growing techniques and technology. As Stated in the 3rd paragraph sub section d all those growing scarecrows must agree to the conditions of the treaty and sign the declaration of Uftyy Crow.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I am very concerned about the use of Dragon's fire.  Since this seems to be some kind of Welsh 'plant' I can only assume that you need a Welsh dragon.  These are small red creatures, well I say small becuase as dragons go they are on the small side. 

These are now extremely rare and are only to be found in a small number of secret locations.   When I say secret I mean very secret and the details of them are only known to a very small number of people who have passed this knowledge down from Grandmother to granddaughter through the generations of time.

I was not aware that any of the Welsh migrants to had managed to smuggle out an actual Welsh dragon.    Though I suppose it is possible that someone managed to remove an egg and keep it hot enough.  There have been rumours for some time that there might be one in Argentina where there is a very large Welsh community.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
 Well ok Jayb, you just go ahead and cheer for caroline.. somebody might come nd cheer for me :'( but..... we do have a lot of Welshmen here so I might go to the Welsh expats dinner and see what I can find out.

My equipment that will go to 2300f is now en rout fro the US and shoud be here in about a week, we take pssession of our storage locker on the 1st of September, so just waiting for seeds now.

I was thinking of growing Crow's Eye seeds which are good , so I may grow those at the same time.

In fact I have quite a few body part seeds wich may be worth growing

eyeball plant                                crows eyes                                        corpseflower

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Now I have heard about corpse flowers but I believe that they rather a rather lovely smell even more alluring than stinging nettle and comfrey tea.  Should make you very popular with the neighbours.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Really, oh eck I might have to rethink that one.Actually they look a bit like Skunk Cabbage which grows wild all around here XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

springbok

• Hectare
Still think you lot are pulling my leg.............

Picture of a welsh scarecrow please :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Sorry Bokkie I haven't got a picture of said scarecrow, hopefully someone else will have  :)

Jeannine I'll cheer you on too  ;D just supporting my local scarecrow grower, although I fear she may still be fighting her way through the thicket at the bottom of the moor to the right of the Black mountains. I believe she is sourcing a scarecrow harp, the sound is pretty scary but is reported to calm the developing seedling, thus avoiding some of the dangerous tantrums.

Love the pictures, how bizare plants can be.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

brownowl23

• Acre
I'll join Jeaninnes team as a supporter and if you need any supplies from Wales let me know before Saturday and i'll get them for you as im hollibobbing there.

Cant wait to see how Jeannines scarecrow grows, have you thought of a name for it yet.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Thank you brown owl.. no no name yet..I wil have to wait and see what comes up.I am told there are male and female plants like Kiwi fruit so you have to be sure and get ferilised seeds.. I don;t want any duds.

I do hope Caroline has not got lost,, I know she is really busy right now. mind you at the risk of sounding  a meanie I have to say it serves her right,she knows full well I can't get a blooming scarecrow  harp here.

Thank you Jayb, I am glad of your support too..

my Scary  isn't going to have tantrums, I am taking singing lessons in Welsh so I can soothe it
 sand I do have pan pipes music so that might help

XX Jeannine

Mushy Pea

• Acre
Oooh Jeannine saw these in Derbyshire last week.  ;)

We were visiting a "well dressing" in Wormhill.

MP

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
I was thinking of joining in but putting bear poop in a knickerleg is a real turn off.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Mushy Pea

• Acre
I was thinking of joining in but putting bear poop in a knickerleg is a real turn off.

For you or the bear GrannieAnnie  :D

MP

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Hi all, Caroline must be really busy again as she is not here so we will have to wait a little longer.. XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal