Author Topic: 6 million people  (Read 1396 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
6 million people
« on: September 04, 2010, 17:02:22 »
Apparently 6 million people have paid the wrong amount of tax.  Next week some people will get a nasty shock, if they have to repay.  What a glorified c.ck up.  There could be protests about this, me thinks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: 6 million people
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 17:08:42 »
I'm sure there will be. A financial expert on TV said to challange it & she said some won't have to pay. To ask for it to be repayed in 1 year is asking for trouble when things are so difficult for so mant people.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 17:11:43 »
Hopefully I will get a rebate on the tax I pay on my private pension, but very much doubt it, knowing my luck they will probably ask for more.   :( :( :(

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 17:13:12 »
I think the people who didn't pay enough should pay up so the people(Like me) who paid too much can get tax back. ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 17:15:15 »
Perhaps we could do a barter system and give them some runner beans and courgettes.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 17:53:14 »
[quotePerhaps we could do a barter system and give them some runner beans and courgettes. ][/quote]
ha ha  ;D

I think they will deduct it straight from our wage packets.

but I`ve got lots of runners and courgettes,

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 19:01:23 »
I heard this evening that HMRC said they might write some of it off if people can show they did everything they should and that it was HMRC's error- surely that's all of them!  >:(

Looking forward to an interesting thread on Tuesday if some o us have underpaid and some overpaid! ::)

:(

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 19:30:08 »
Theyre staggering sending out the letters over sevweral months so that thye dont get swamped by the phone calls.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 19:31:03 »
I thought the problem was on PAYE so no one has done anything to cause the problem.  You simply have to accept what your employee has done.  They simply use information from HMRC either paper tables or a schedule of figures to put into computer programme.  Are we to assume that the paper tables were wrong since if the conputer programmes were in error then many more people would be involved?  

Those who have paid too much should get a rebate and those who have paid too little should not have to pay more.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 19:37:50 »
I already got a £33 rebate as I finished work 2 months before the end of the finiancial year. wasn't sure if I was owed any but asked anyway. reckon loads of people don't ask so don't get cuz they won't tell you  they just hang on to it
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

:(

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 19:39:34 »
It seems theres now a computer checking what used to be done manually when the revenue checked employers pay and tax figures agianst their own records at the end of each year. Channel4 news says this-

Who is likely to be affected?
You might have under or overpaid tax if:
Your employer used the wrong tax code, you started a new job and had an emergency tax code for a while,you only worked for part of the year, you had more than one job at the same time, you didn't tell HMRC right away about changes to benefits you got through your work, your circumstances changed - perhaps you were made redundant or became self employed and therefore your income reduced, other income like investments or rental income reduced but you didn't tell HMRC or HMRC made a mistake with your tax.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal