Author Topic: Moneymaker problems  (Read 3159 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Moneymaker problems
« on: August 25, 2010, 15:13:13 »
Hi have some Moneymaker toms  have grown them for a bout 15 years now usually ok but this year their lacking in Flavour  and

Not setting right inside staying hard see picture any ideas Folks  ???

i don't belive death is the end

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Re: Moneymaker problems
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 15:13:46 »
Forgot to say good crop and plenty of them  :(

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 16:55:37 »
also grew Roma  and tumbler there ok

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 17:59:45 »
 have grown them for a bout 15 years now usually ok but this year their lacking in Flavour 

Have you had a recent operation?,Have your taste buds been restored ?

Moneymaker never did have any flavour -I bang on and on about it

;D

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 18:26:38 »
have grown them for a bout 15 years now usually ok but this year their lacking in Flavour 

Have you had a recent operation?,Have your taste buds been restored ?

Moneymaker never did have any flavour -I bang on and on about it

;D

Naw     they wre ok before   :o :o :o

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 00:33:30 »
I've only grown Moneymaker once and they turned out very much like the ones in your photo, and were completely watery and tasteless. I thought that's how they were meant to be, hence never growing them again. Sorry can't shed any light on why yours were lovely before but not now. Maybe you were just lucky! Did you feed them with something different this year maybe?

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:25:07 »
Just a thought ... do you save your own seed year on year, or have you bought/aquired seed from another source which may have been mislabelled?

I've had seed from one of the major suppliers which "didn't come true", labelled "Aloe Vera" it grew as two different (but recognizable) aloe species. Inevitably it was some while after the purchase that I realised the problem ... when I wrote the supplier apologised , but claimed no responsibility, and replaced the packet of seed, which grew exactly the same as the first batch ... I gave up and scrounged an off-shoot from a friend  ;)

... my point being, you may just have got unlucky with your seed  :'(

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 14:21:19 »
Thanks all 

Right Then

Lets have a  good one recommendation for me to try next year
  I want something like money maker size fruit s   and plenty of them but with good flavour

What do you suggest

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 16:57:59 »
If I thought it'd help I'd recommend "Sunrise", but seed is almost impossible to find. My neighbour grows "Gardeners' Delight" and "Maskotka", both of which have excellent flavour and crop from the beginning of August ... slightly earlier than "Sunrise".

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 17:22:29 »
When Moneymaker first hit the streets in (I think) either the late 1950s or the early 1960s my local grocer started to selling them. However he bought my Stonor`s Exhibition for his own use.  As he said "Moneymaker are for grocers to make money out of, not for eating".

The nearest thing to Moneymaker that you will get is Shirley, not quite as big and not quite as tasteless, but with less cotton wool inside.  Slightly smaller, but of much better quality and flavour is Alicante, which I grew for several years both by ring culture and by hydroponics, although the skins can be a bit tough.

However, for the best quality and flavour, there is nothing to beat the new smaller varieties, but as I haven`t grown tomatoes for a couple of years I`m sure other members will be delighted to recommend the best.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 13:46:38 »
Black Russian would be very high on my list to suggest,but the flavour is quite complex and not everyone likes them. St Pierre is very good and `Outdoor Girl` does very well in my polytunnel-an honest, fresh tasting standard sized red.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 11:16:30 »
I am baffled by this - I grew Moneymaker this year and I am getting tons of small, deep red, juicy luscious toms!!! Maybe it is a different variety to that sold in the UK (bought them at Lidl I think). They are very productive although they tend to split, but I have just  returned from holidays so the tomato crop is a right mess just now.

I also tried some of the beefsteak varieties this year - they are the right shape, but only as big as normal tomatoes??? maybe it was because of lack of water as summer has been sooooo dry here.  Still, the flavour is very nice.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 12:14:54 »
how did you water them while on holiday.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 09:05:56 »
Well, I didn't :)  There was quite frequent rainfall while I was away so I left it at that.
Maybe next year I will get whoppers like I saw in SW France - some were so big that you could not hold them in one hand!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 14:59:16 »
anyone tried

Shirley toms ?? 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 16:32:08 »
I've grown this year bloody butcher and alaskan fancy..which both are red, round and similar size to a moneymaker..
they started cropping early and and are still doing so...and for 'standard' tomato they do taste lovely..bloody butcher better than other.
AND there were no 'funny' flesh with them... ::)

small

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 21:00:28 »
What about Ailsa Craig? I've had a marvellous crop this year with only a couple of fruit with blossom end rot, very resistant to splitting, I think very tasty.....I also rooted some sideshoots early on and those plants are now bearing, I don't know if they are a very fashionable variety but they do us nicely.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 21:27:31 »
anyone tried

Shirley toms ?? 

Yes.  I grew them in (I think) the late 1970s for a couple of years to give them a try.
They are not quite as large as moneymaker, not quite as woolly, and not quite as tasteless.

Small asks about Ailsa Craig.  This is another old favourite which I grew in  the 1950s.  Medium sized fruit, juicy, with plenty of flavour, and I heartily recommend it

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 21:29:50 »
we really like tigerella,stripey, nice flavour, plus we were given one called most prolific, lived up to it's name, normal sized fruit, good flavour  :)

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 13:32:23 »
I love Gardeners Delight. A predictable choice, but....seeds available everywhere, easy to grow, crops heavily, tastes yummy, seems to be slightly less blight-susceptible than other types. Every year I wonder if I should try something else more exotic but never regret sticking a few in..they are always my favourite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal