Author Topic: Pear trees  (Read 1382 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Pear trees
« on: September 10, 2010, 19:12:10 »
Not sure if this is in the right place, but the allotment next to me has been split into three.  One is almost being used, one is not, so I am told, but he has left a locked box there and produce that is going to waste and the end one no-one wants and it has two pear trees.  The smaller pear tree is dropping pears all over my site, and I have been giving them away to anyone on the site that wants them, as it is an overused site and the pears are just going to waste.  The larger pear tree is loaded and the pears aren't ready yet but are dropping on my head.  'I feel a song coming on, the pears keep dropping on my head'.  I have been cutting down some of the weeds as they are interfering with my plot and thought that because it is only a third of a plot and I get a reduction for being old, I might take it on.  It is not too good for growing because of the two trees, but we have a seat there under the big tree and Margaret did have a few flowers there.  I am already cutting a bit down and taking some spinach, so may well take it on and at least give the pears to other allotment holders.  I am so annoyed that so much produce is going to waste, ie toms, runner beans, cauliflower, cabbage, but can't take it off other plots without permission, even though the plot owner has not been up for over 3 months.  I will have to speak to the Council about the vacant plot cause it is worth its weight in pears alone.  Also one question all the rotten pears that have dropped do they make good compost, if so I will pick them all up and put in a heap, with gloves as the wasps/ants or whatever love them.  Decisions, decisions.  Just put some pears outside on my front wall, but no-one has taken them yet, very honest here in lovely Enfield, perhaps a note would help.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Pear trees
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 19:27:19 »
First thing that comes to my mind after reading your post..I would leave the fallen/damaged pears on ground if they are not needed....maybe just raking them together and putting somewere on corner out of way..as there is quite a lot of wild life that would love to feed on them...birds, insects, hedgehogs, foxes...or ..yes you can put them on compost bin but they do not tend to provide much to your compost..fruit is most of water so what little else there is in fruit, once rotted down it doesn't have much impact.
You have to listen you heart and head and see which is stronger..but generally I find attending 'orchard' is much less work than growing veg. Go on.. ;) ;D..you could underplant with alpine and normal strawberries..and double crop the area.. ;)

betula

• Hectare
Re: Pear trees
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 19:40:50 »
You can't beat a seat under a tree on a hot day.......go for it  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal