Author Topic: Quail  (Read 1479 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Quail
« on: August 31, 2010, 23:25:44 »
There is a lot of chat about keeping chooks, so I thought I would start a new thread in case anyone out there keeps quail.

We have a little family of 10 (we did have 11, but one of the boy birds now resides in our freezer for being a noisy bully).  At the moment, we do have to many boys to gals as we have 6 ladies and 4 chaps, however, I am expecting delivery of an incubator anyday now, so hopefully we can redress the balance.  They are from several different bloodlines, the girls different from the boys, so I am not worried about inbreeding at this stage.

They are fab birds, very friendly and cute and produce between 1 and 2 eggs a day.  Since Easter, we have had over 600 eggs, and as roughly 5 eggs equals one large hens egg, it is quite easy to use a dozen in one sitting.

They live in our refurbished and modified greenhouse as they can fly so have to be in roofed accomodation, but MrAva built them an outside run attached to the greenhouse so they have access to outside.  They are as free range as they could be, and are a happy little crowd.

I do keep a blog with news of the family, and photos if you are at all interested.  http://allotmentnews.blogspot.com/

Does anyone else keep quail out there??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal