Author Topic: Charcoal in water butt  (Read 7371 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Charcoal in water butt
« on: August 31, 2010, 18:11:13 »
The water in my uncovered butt at home has suddenly gone very smelly. Looking back at past posts on the subject, charcoal is often mentioned. Can this be used as a cure or is it just a preventative measure? Also, will barbecue charcoal work and how much do I need?

springbok

• Hectare
Re: Charcoal in water butt
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 18:18:52 »
I have read that you need to keep your butt covered at all times and dark too to stop algae forming in it.

However the charcoal question, you can use BBQ charcoal as long as its not the fast burning variety.  Try look for a natural forest type of charcoal.  Break the lumps down a bit, and I believe its just a layer you need to filter.  It apparently absorbs the impurities :)

I have not done this myself, but my ex father in law told me what to do :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 18:24:01 »
Cover it and leave it. If that doesn't fix it within a few weeks, you need to clean it out.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 19:10:06 »
Charcoal is used in filters where the water flows through it,
I wouldn't have thought just placing it in the bottom would make much difference.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 21:32:34 »
The water has gone green because the algae have partied.  This is because there is nutrients in the water, and lots of them. Eventually, the water will clear, because the nutrients will run out and the algae will die, but that might take while, especially if the water is being topped up by the rainwater guttering..........

Charcoal has properties to absorb all sorts of stuff, and is usually used as a filter, but  bunging lumps in a butt is unlikely to do much good, unless you chuck in  about 20% of the volume of the butt.

With ponds, one of the best ways to clear a green pond water is to throw a bale of barley straw in, this soaks up the nutrients .

The best strategy is to make sure the  butt is totally covered, and no light can get in. The other thing algae needs to multiply is energy, which it gets from sunlight. No sunlight, no baby algae.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 13:56:09 »
The water has gone green because the algae have partied.  This is because there is nutrients in the water, and lots of them. Eventually, the water will clear, because the nutrients will run out and the algae will die, but that might take while, especially if the water is being topped up by the rainwater guttering..........

Charcoal has properties to absorb all sorts of stuff, and is usually used as a filter, but  bunging lumps in a butt is unlikely to do much good, unless you chuck in  about 20% of the volume of the butt.

With ponds, one of the best ways to clear a green pond water is to throw a bale of barley straw in, this soaks up the nutrients .

The best strategy is to make sure the  butt is totally covered, and no light can get in. The other thing algae needs to multiply is energy, which it gets from sunlight. No sunlight, no baby algae.

good post! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 16:12:26 »
A slurp of Jeyes Fluid might help.

That is what it says on the tin at least - "can be used to freshen water butts".

Certainly, at that concentration, it won't harm your plants when you water with it.

But there comes a time when you just have to give your barrels a good clean.

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 00:02:27 »
If you have one or more of the IBC thingies, it's suggested that you paint them black to stop the sunlight getting through to the water. Don't know personally as I've not found one cheap enough to justify buying one. £100 + delivery ????

Anyone in North Norfolk know of a cheaper supply ?
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal