Author Topic: Mystery bean  (Read 3123 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Mystery bean
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 17:40:06 »
Went to our plot today & we have them growing too. Great I thought, problem solved. Came home & checked my planting list & according to the it's ToT. Which we know it isn't. So why do I do charts ;D ::)?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 19:51:00 »
I've picked some tonight and will taste the mystery ones tomorrow..I also notice that the whole row were the same variety..so if it would be rough bean, I would imagine there to be some variation within...mine definately is not TOT...different colour flower and the bean and the stems surfaces are almost 'coppery' tinted.
As for charts....what else we can do when there is foot of snow on ground and gardening is only a distant dream... ;D ::)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 21:29:57 »
Gosh a new bean species...

Patent it.

Could be worth a million

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 22:20:25 »
Probably just a rogue. When you grow lots of beans, you get plenty of them.

I had 5 last year and am already collecting the stable grow-outs from them this year. 2 are already named and growing in other people's gardens :D

If you really want to know what it is, just leave a few on the plant to dry out, shell them and then take a photo; it's usually the easiest way to try and track what they are....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 18:15:19 »
I cooked  few lots of different beans in separate pans to do proper tasting session..and the mystery bean was really nice one as a green bean.. ;D
Now that tasting session was weird experience of sort..I've never actually tasted cooked bean without having some seasoning on or having them mixed into food...to me bean is just bean...but for my suprise there were quite big differences between beans..flavour and texture...and I have never cooked different varieties separately... ::)
Well.. now I'm that one experience richer ;D And the conclusion of the taste test was..that  I'm going to keep my mystery one and save some seeds for next year.. ;D....and I still have the shelled bean test to do too... ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 01:39:10 »
I cooked  few lots of different beans in separate pans to do proper tasting session..and the mystery bean was really nice one as a green bean.. ;D
Now that tasting session was weird experience of sort..I've never actually tasted cooked bean without having some seasoning on or having them mixed into food...to me bean is just bean...but for my suprise there were quite big differences between beans..flavour and texture...and I have never cooked different varieties separately... ::)
Well.. now I'm that one experience richer ;D And the conclusion of the taste test was..that  I'm going to keep my mystery one and save some seeds for next year.. ;D....and I still have the shelled bean test to do too... ;D

Sounds a useful bean after all!  Your long mystery reminds me slightly of 'Brejo' but they are not the same.  Similarly flat though.  And Brejo is a nice green-eating bean hence the suggestion.  Have you tasted the shelled out beans yet?

There are real diferences between beans if you taste them.  Not many people notice though.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 07:32:41 »
I have some that look the same & so does daughter. I haven't tasted them separately yet as I did with Mrs Lewis last night, she was lovely, thank you Digeroo. I did 2 searate pans, one with Mrs L & the other a mix. I had Good Oil (hemp seed oil) lemon + salt & pepper & just had a plate full. They were lovely.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 07:55:24 »
I am glad you like Mrs L.  Grew 28 different beans this year and it is my favourite by a long way. 

Certainly nothing like my Brejo which have enormous flat green with red mottled beans it is very distintive. 

If you have a whole row how many plants are we talking about?  You only get 10 form hsl.

Middle one looks a bit like ODriscoll.  Lovely as fresh shelled.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 09:11:39 »
I've just looked at my list for planting for our plot & daughters. Both have O'Driscoll  but not where they're supposed to be, knowing me I have just not planted where I thought I had. Mrs L was delicious. I love braod bean omlettes so perhaps runner bean will be as nice.

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 21:50:04 »
Read this post the other day and then went up to the plot and discovered the same thing.  Definitely where I planted ToT - maybe something in the weather that has affected them?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal