Author Topic: Green butternut squash  (Read 1561 times)

Cabagepicker

• Not So New ...
Green butternut squash
« on: August 28, 2010, 20:22:27 »
Not sure when to pick these, they are the right size but not Orange. Do I cut back the foliage to let the sun in or pick them and let them change colour on the windowsill?

Any advice appreciated!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Green butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 21:40:54 »
leave them on the plant for as long as possible. Some of mine are quite behind this year. If the leaves look healthy, i'd leave them on - but you might want to wait for a second opinion. I just think that damaging the plant may make it more prone to disease

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 22:06:39 »
Yes...same advise from me too...leave it be..let your squash to mature fully...as your foliage is starting naturally die down..then cut your squash off..cure it couple of weeks away from the weather..and the true colour should start come out ;) All mine are still sort of greenish/yellowish colour too.
Oh..do not expect you butternut to turn pumpkin orange..the skin is always a bit wishy/washy orangey ::)..the ripe flesh will be darker orange  ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 22:33:17 by goodlife »

picman

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 22:09:09 »
I've grown 'Barbara' summer squash this year , do i treat 'her' the same pls ?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 22:20:41 »
Umm...are you sure about it being summer squash? I googled to check your variety and only found it as winter squash... ??? if it is winter one..yes same..
if summer..well those you normally pick while still small/immature, often within few days of flowering, like you would with courgette...

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 22:26:55 »
What goodlife says

last year my squashes had a real burst of activity about now with the weather, and i'm hoping for the same now. Late summer for squashes is a race against time with mildew and suchlike, but they're worth the effort

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 22:39:15 »
Last year I think I left mine until end September/October. Only picked them when the leaves had died right down. Mine are still green-ish colour and the leaves havent died down, so I think you have plenty of time.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 22:41:37 »
Your right  about Barbara , got it in my head she was a summer squash. thanks, i'll leave for a bit  longer. ( She has striped green skin)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 22:44:56 by picman »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 23:01:21 »
It is good to leave butternuts til the stem turns dry and brown if at all possible.
Not sure if that is the recommendation if forecast says many wet weather days though.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 23:06:15 »
Ohh..I've got all faith for UK fair weather fairies... ;D...they'll be sun bathing most of the September..blowing kisses for our squashes.. ;D
I'm leaving mine on ground for untill end of month at least...unless the fairies are planning to do some swimming during their autumn holidays ::)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:47:00 »
Last year a couple of mine were still green striped but the changed colour when left on the windowsill for a while
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 08:49:44 »
Let's hope we have a long warm autumn ... my Butternut sulked all summer, barely managing a few leaves, it nearly got dug up 'cept I didn't need the space, then all of a sudden wooosh, it's all over the place and it's got two fruit set with potentially more on the way (the female flower buds are there)  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 18:03:17 »
Let's hope we have a long warm autumn ... my Butternut sulked all summer, barely managing a few leaves, it nearly got dug up 'cept I didn't need the space, then all of a sudden wooosh, it's all over the place and it's got two fruit set with potentially more on the way (the female flower buds are there)  :)

Yes, "a sudden whooosh" describes it well.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 22:38:53 »
I transplanted a butternut because it wasn't doing well in a north-facing space. It took a couple of weeks but eventually grew away and now has three fruit growing nicely. To give them strength I've been removing all new embryo fruit as they appear. Together with all the other squashes I have, two or three butternuts are more than enough for the winter for my one person household!

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal