Author Topic: gardman greenhouses?  (Read 2837 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
gardman greenhouses?
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:02:36 »
I have been looking up all the info on this site to help me buy a greenhouse. I would ideally like a second hand one as we do get vandalism on the allotment and paying out a lot would make me worry a lot more about it.
It seems there are two schools of though - poly carbonate (uv stabilised) better than glass as you wont get shards all over the ground when it breaks or polycarbonate bad because it comes out easily, can become brittle and doesnt let the light through enough?
I am only allowed a 4 by 6 on the plot.

Anyone tried the gardman greenhouses (aluminium and twinwall polycarbonate glazing). any advice I'd be very grateful for

Mark S

• Quarter Acre
Re: gardman greenhouses?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 12:19:11 »
I am thinking of a Gardman, and it was suggested to me to use the 'search' facility on here - seems the majority gave good enough reasons for me to spend the best part of £300.

I might do a search on waltons as well, because they have some, almost identical to  gardmans, for the same sort of price.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:34:59 »
Have you tried freecycle or freegle?

Mark S

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 13:23:20 »
I tried them without much success - but someone told me that second hand greenhouses aren't much good, because after you have struggled to dismantle it, if the frame is twisted or buckled, you'll never get it up again. So that sort of put me off going down the second hand line!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 14:07:37 »
I'll be interested to hear what others think about polycarbonate or otherwise - largely because I'm also in a similar position to you gwynleg - although, touch wood, v little probs with vandalism on my site.

1066  :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 16:20:39 »
I got my 6x8 on Freecycle. It was relatively easy to assemble but we did take loads of photos and we numbered all the metal pieces and glass. We really did need those photos once we got it home.
When I looked on Freecycle last year there were two on offer, the one I have or a 15x8. I now wish I had the 15x8. ::)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 18:04:35 »
Hi All
I bought a large polycarbonate greenhouse at the start of the year its 14x 8 and was £519 in the sales.

Its excellent. its nonsense that the light doesnt get through, my tomatoes peppers and lemon cucs have ripened a treat in fact the harvest is over becuase they began fruting so early.
As for the panes comming out the great thing is you can silicon them or tape them no problems and if they do come out all you need is a knife edge to slot them back in (ive never had to do this yet)

My greenhouse is warmer than my mums glass one becuase the polycarbonate has two air pockets between the inside and out.

when you see it it does look just like cardboard construction and feels flimsy but really its no problems once its in. You dont have worry about the gales or teenagers or throwing the ball for the dog.

The only thing i would say is that mine seems humid, i think that this is becuase it is warmer and more water evaporates and after taping the gaps there is no draft though unless a window or door is open.

If you do buy one the best tip is to sellotape the edges closed before you try to slot them in the frame!! Construction day was not fun oh and a bit of oilive oil or washing up liquid helps a treat to!

Im happy with mine
x sunloving

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 05:57:29 »
thanks for the info sunloving, it sounds like a very practical greenhouse - no nonsense if you see what I mean. I think the main issue for me, whatever I end up with, will be to make sure it's staked down etc (just thinking of winter storms in the Channel!

1066  :)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:49:25 »
Yes i know what you mean, the north west is pretty blowy to. I abandoned the extra base which had the stakes to go in the ground and built a brick foundation and just drilled holes through t he frame into the bricks becuase a few stakes isnt going to hold it down in the jan gales.

On the plus side the spare base girders have made an exellent tall fence of supports for my pleached rowan tree hedge!! hammered in a treat!

good luck with your choice!
 x sunloving

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 17:09:49 »
Thanks for all the information - i shall keep planning!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 18:41:26 »
I got my 6x8 on Freecycle. It was relatively easy to assemble but we did take loads of photos and we numbered all the metal pieces and glass. We really did need those photos once we got it home.
I got mine off freecycle, I asked for one and somebody offered me one.
The one I got was already dissasembled, so no chance of taking photos.
Putting it together did take a while, and a few false starts as I bolted a few bits the wrong way up, but other greenhouses on site were basicly the same, so I cribbed of them.
It's been up for over 2 years now and I am very happy with it for something that was free.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal