Author Topic: Can't shift the greenfly  (Read 5908 times)

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Can't shift the greenfly
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:38:17 »
just can't get rid of the greenfly on my chilis - been spraying them for weeks. Had to blast them off with a water hose

just looked at the insecticide bottle  - active ingredient rapeseed oil. Totally useless. "Bug Clear" btw

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Can't shift the greenfly
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:45:32 »
Try Dr Bronners Castile Soap (look it up on ebay).... Covered in nut-job religious messages (though very hard to work out which religion it's promoting), a couple of drops of that in a pint sprayer seems to get rid of most aphids fast.... from memory it works by lowering the surface tension of the water to basically nil so the water travels into the aphids breathing spiracules and they suffocate.... quite quickly....
doesn't seem to hurt the plants cos  stomata will absorb water anyway....
chrisc

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:57:13 »
I use neem oil - highly watered down with a bit of home made soap to emulsify the two.  Works a treat but doesnt smell so good..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 23:55:32 »
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 21:50:43 »
crissc - do you recommend Bronners Castile liquid soap for use against white fly?

Tricia

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 17:17:19 »
crissc - do you recommend Bronners Castile liquid soap for use against white fly?

Tricia

It seems to do the job but I've rarely suffered whitefly infestation problems anyway and not since I started using the yellow sticky traps.... although they will catch the odd "good" insect they seem to be overwhelmingly favoured by the bad ones.....

fingers crossed I haven't cursed myself for this season..

chrisc

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 06:22:50 »
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 15:21:13 »
that's what I got, gardentg44

my Madame Jeanette has THRIPS now I think, and a bit difficult to shift too

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 16:35:19 »
At least with the Dr Bronner's soap if you get the lavender one they die very relaxed ;D. I used it last year & it worked fine. It has a multitude of uses.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 17:01:02 »
Any idea why the Dr Bronners soap should work any better than ordinary washing up liquid, or is it just preferred because it's organic? If so, has anyone tried Ecover w.u. liquid?

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 17:01:27 »
Catch a few ladybirds and pop them in the greenhouse...I usually put any greenfly-ed plants outside for a few days and they soon get eaten.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 17:20:13 »
I would try this, i buy the concentrate

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Weedkillers+Insecticides/Provado-Ultimate-Bug-Killer-1ltr/invt/0149816

I've been fighting a losing battle against greenfly in the greenhouse, using insecticidal soap which had no effect at all.  I bought a bottle of the Provado concentrate and sprayed them yesterday and this morning there were lots of dead greenfly on the soil in the pots and no live greenfly on the plants.

Thank you gardentg44!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 20:21:12 »
Catch a few ladybirds and pop them in the greenhouse...I usually put any greenfly-ed plants outside for a few days and they soon get eaten.

Ladybird larvae are better - easier to catch - but mainly because you can put them exactly where they are needed and they stay put, though the biggest ones might go into their cocoon before they finish the job.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal