Author Topic: Replacing asbestos kickpanes  (Read 2753 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Replacing asbestos kickpanes
« on: August 29, 2010, 22:01:17 »
The kickpanes on the secondhand GH I've just picked upo were asbestos sheeting, so we carefully bagged it and it will be thrown away. What would be a sensible thing to replace it with.... white twinwall.... some modern fibrous cement sheet? or soemthing else?.....

chrisc

petengade

• Acre
Re: Replacing asbestos kickpanes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 19:05:47 »
I used Polycarbonate sheet cut into two foot by one foot, pieces left over  from a job, still good thirty five years later.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:43:11 »
Hmm... I might well do that.... equally I might go the fibrous cement route as I'll need to replace at least one of the 2x2 panes somewhere to allow me to put the chimney for the logburner I'm planning on going in it in there....

chrisc

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 21:40:04 »
so we carefully bagged it and it will be thrown away.

chrisc

Umm. I don't think so. You have to take it to a special depot, double bagged in specially marked bags, taped and airtight. You will have notify the council you are bringing it to them and pay for the privilage.

Then pay for an air test in the area you where dismantling it and until it has been tested it will be classified as a no go area until it has been cleared. this is for all aspestos wether it is blue, brown or whatever. Sorry to be a doom merchant, but it is the law. If you bury it the whole area will be out of bounds. I certainly would not have advertised the fact on an open forum.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 23:28:25 »
so we carefully bagged it and it will be thrown away.

chrisc

Umm. I don't think so. You have to take it to a special depot, double bagged in specially marked bags, taped and airtight. You will have notify the council you are bringing it to them and pay for the privilage.

Then pay for an air test in the area you where dismantling it and until it has been tested it will be classified as a no go area until it has been cleared. this is for all aspestos wether it is blue, brown or whatever. Sorry to be a doom merchant, but it is the law. If you bury it the whole area will be out of bounds. I certainly would not have advertised the fact on an open forum.

Thankfully not my problem, I left it all at the sellers place, he was going to dispose of it......

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 01:08:09 »
There is a HUGE difference between light woolly asbestos used for heat insulation and asbestos cement where the asbestos is used to strengthen the cement and stays in there unless it is smashed to bits.

The former is more dangerous than low level radioactive waste and needs removing whatever its state, whereas the latter is best left in a safe place until the council collect it.

The council did a survey on our allotments looking for the bad stuff and was obviously not over-exercised over the concrete stuff though it will get around to removing it in time...
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal