Author Topic: Osteospermum cuttings  (Read 3678 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Osteospermum cuttings
« on: August 07, 2010, 23:51:23 »
I've just taken 5 rooted cuttings out of the jam jar this afternoon and potted them up.

The problem is where to keep them over the winter time. I've looked on old posts here and it would seem the house is too warm and the garden too cold so an unheated greenhouse maybe is the answer.

Do I keep them in their pots and put them on the ground in there, plant them in the greenhouse border or keep them on a table?

Ninny

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Osteospermum cuttings
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:20:26 »
Or a properly built cold frame. If you haven`t got a greenhouse you can line the frame with buble plastic.

However, even the `hardy` osteospermums are a bit nesh for their siurst winter, so with a cold frame (or even a cold greenhouse) it`s a wise precaution to sink the pot to its rim in a `plunge` bed to avoid freezing of the roots.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:02:22 »
Thank you Kepouros - the pots will be plunged into the bed of the bubblewrapped greenhouse before the nights get too chilly.

Ninny

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:55:29 »
Didn,t know you could root them in water  in a jam jar !  I will give that a try...thankyou Ninnyscoops  !    : )   Debs
Trespassers will be composted !

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 17:49:50 »
You can get an awful lot of things to root in jars of water - many that you couldn`t root in compost.  I once had a 1inch thick (and very woody) standard fuchsia stem snapped off.  I put the top (broken off portion) in a bucket of water and left it for 6 weeks and the bucket was a mass of roots.  It`s also very good with hydrangeas.  The difficulty can be weaning them from water to a proper growing medium.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal