Author Topic: Soya Beans  (Read 1843 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Soya Beans
« on: August 14, 2010, 17:31:14 »
Is anyone else growing these? Mine have been veeeeerrrrry slow to get started and have only just put out a few flowers. I've been trying to read up on them, and I found the following info on the Seeds of Italy website -

"The plants should be harvested when all the leaves have fallen off and the pods are dried up. Never harvest Soya when there is dampness, fog, mist or dew, as the soya bean has the capacity to soak up moiture through its pod and they will be like glue. Only harvest them when they are dry and the weather is excellent !! "

Now maybe I'm being a bit pre-emptive  ::) but is this what others do? And how are yours getting on?

1066  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Soya Beans
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 17:37:22 »
I think soya bean must be only thing that I've grown that I never seem to have luck with..for start with..last 3 summers been more than just damp or misty ::)
And I do not have enough room in GH or tunner to grow worth while quantity...
Our climate may not be quite dry enough for these??
I've given up with soya.. >:(

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 15:52:09 »
Aaaahhhhhh, I did wonder! I got them in a swap, and its a case of nothing tried nothing gained  :-\

Thanks

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 22:31:59 »
The plants are big and very vigorous but the seeds are very delicate so don't drop them or pack them tight among other packets, they are too fragile . In a seed swap I would think they would almost certainly get damaged. I sent them in one but bubble wrapped them with a note.

They are vrey warm season so start them in pots  early for planting out when the soil is really warm, think sweetcorn and soya..same early needs.

You will gt a better sugar content if you keep them well watered conditions, they don't do well without it,and  it makes a big difference to the size of the seeds.

Best pulled when the seeds have maximised   but before any yellowing of the pods occurs. Harvest when the seeds are plump and they seem to have stopped swelling but before the plants start to go yellow. Best sign is to watch the bottom foliage and at the first sign of yellow, at this time the pods will lose the really bright green colour,cut the stem  at ground level  and harvest the pods sitting down, you can't pick and pick again with them if you want the best flavour.They ripen all at once.

Seeds of Italy are quoting you for keeping dry seeds  not for eating fresh,I prefer them fresh and above is accurate for that.

To cook simply steam in shells unsalted for about 4 minutes and lightly sprinkle with salt when cool ,or not if you prefer,pop in a bowl for guests as finger food. This known as  Edamame when boiled fresh in the pod.  Oh and I know it is the name of a seed too, but the name for the finger food came first.

You can of course eat them as a regular green bean but I like the Japanese finger food way the best.. always found in Sushi bars.

Oh and for germination they do so much better of you use bean inoculant when you sow them.

Sum up, start early, treat them gently, keep them very well watered  and pick on time.

Envy is a short season one much as 2 weeks before others, but the yeild is less than most.Black Jet is a black one but best kept for dried beans. Butterbeans  is my favorite now as some have three seeds and they have a lovely flavour  my old favourite which is still right up there is Sayamusume.

I grew them in Hull, therebasic growing time is about the same as winter squash.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 22:34:23 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 22:41:26 »
I haven't grown them outside only in a polytunnel and found they give a good harvest, though I've not grown any this year. I've tried Elena and Ustie both have done well and freshly steamed pods are so scrummy, I never thought I'd be converted.

Red spider mite love them too  :(
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:47:08 »
Thanks for the extra info Jeannine, I hadn't realsied Seeds of Italy were on about dried! And as I want them for fresh, that is good news. I love them fresh, I sometimes buy a bag from Oriental shops, but they are frozen. Lovely taste.

A couple of questions and points -
You will gt a better sugar content if you keep them well watered conditions, they don't do well without it,and  it makes a big difference to the size of the seeds.

Ah, that might be a problem this year!

Oh and for germination they do so much better of you use bean inoculant when you sow them.

What is a bean inoculant?

And thanks for the tips about pulling the whole plant, and watching out for the yellowing leaves  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:53:25 »
Bean innoculant is a natural soil treatment that is especially good for beans and peas.It has good bacteria that attach to nodes on plant roots,it enables the nitrogen in the soil to be used in a way that improves the plants by enhancing growth, the bacteria can live on after the plants are gone leaving even more nitrogen rich roots in  the soil for years after use which benefits the garden overall. It helps beans and peas off to a good start especially when the weather is not ideal and the plants are having a hard time.

It looks like soot, just toss your sees in it and plant as usual. I have found I get better legumes with it. You can use it for ant type of legumes, but there is one specifically for soybeans which I like to  use. It is extremely cheap and goes a very long way.

I hope that makes sense.
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mbtshoes

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:04:51 »
I've tried Elena and Ustie both have done well and freshly steamed pods are so scrummy, I never thought I'd be converted.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:27:46 »
legume innoculents are less popular in the UK.

Fothergills sell some and so does medwynsofanglesey.co.uk

http://www.medwynsofanglesey.co.uk/shop/sundries/cat_6.html

but they tend to just be for the regular british crops; beans, BBs and peas not the exotics.

I just happened to be looking yesterday, wondering if my green manure, alfalfa would need some, but having googled around a lot I think it might use the same bacteria as clover which I have plenty of all over - does anyone know?

I was also looking because I want to try growing some chickpeas and I don't know which group of bacteria they take - does anyone know about that and if so where I might get hold of the right kind here.  Being an unusual one, I expect they aren't already present in the soil.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:28 »
I just looked in a catalogue here and it offers

Garden combi for peas,beans and vetch and more

A second combi for  garden peas, field peas, fave/broad beans, lentil and vetch

One for clover

the one for soya beans as stated already

Chick peas need a different one called rhizobium, but haven;t got a source for it.

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:48:02 by Jeannine »

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 13:43:15 »
yes, and thanks for the extra info, I'll have to have a read up

I meant to try some chick peas this year Earlypea, but didn't get round to it!

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 15:59:32 »
tried soya beans and failed miserably  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal