Author Topic: squash size  (Read 938 times)

albion

• Not So New ...
squash size
« on: August 13, 2010, 13:55:06 »
Hi experts,
Probably been asked before but when do you harvest Spaghetti squashes? Does it matter how big they are? Thanks in advance

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: squash size
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 19:39:34 »
I only harvest when they are ripe. This is indicated when the squash fruit stem changes colour and dries out. If you then harden them off, they will keep for months in a cool, dry place.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 09:12:00 »
I asked a similar question a few days ago, having had an accident with a good-size fruit parting company with the parent plant. I was assured they are good to eat at any stage of their development, so I cooked it and thoroughly enjoyed it  8).

However, if you anticipate storing the squash for any length of time, that is to say more than a few days, I suspect it'd best be ripened on the plant. The stem on my unripe fruit was "weeping" noticeably, so I imagine the fruit would dry out quite quickly in this state. With the fruit fully ripened and the stem dried out, the moisture is less likely to escape.

albion

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:10:36 »
Thank you for your replies. very helpful

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal