Author Topic: When to pick pumpkins  (Read 1589 times)

Philbasford

• Acre
When to pick pumpkins
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:58:14 »
When do people normally pick thier pumpkins and how do your store them once they have been picked?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: When to pick pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 15:55:49 »
I don't normally pick untill the plants are starting to die down..and as storing...I put mine on staging in greehouse (if there is room ::)) or on a pallet in polytunnel to 'cure' and when cold weather comes then I keep them in frost free place...like spare bedroom.. ;D ;D ;D..and quest are not allowed for visit or staying over night unless they are happy to nurture "few" pumpkins and squashes while there.. ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 16:10:19 »
Mine are not even near ready for picking yet..plenty of set fruit but growth is still lush....little peek on my plot.... ;)
[attachment=1]

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 17:07:43 »
I have picked 5, 2 still at alloment because too heavy to carry home.  We are already had pumpkin soup, which OH made and was quite nice.  I am saving one to get big, and already have more growing quite big.  I also cut some of the smaller ones up and roast them in slices when I do a roast dinner.  Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but I am a bit impatient.  Was going to cycle up and collect the other two in my bicycle panniers but we have a thunder storm here at present, so will wait until it passes over.  At least I won't have to water.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 09:29:19 »
Ive got two really big ones, going to leave them another month.

Got others of various sizes, they are all up on bricks to keep them away from the slugs and damp.

So think will try one today!, ive never grown let alone eaten pumpkin,  Should i roast it as someone suggested?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 02:16:54 »
There os no advantage to picking them before the plants wither if you are going to store them, XX Jeannien
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal