Author Topic: Chocolate Courgette Cake  (Read 18637 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: Chocolate Courgette Cake
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 19:50:59 »
Lottiedolly.  Thanks for your choc courgette cake.  i've made them before but hadn't recipes to hand, so I tried yours, upping quantities by 1/3 to make a really big tin.  I also added raisins soaked i hot water, some powdered ginger, and some walnuts.  Then I made icing with icing sugar, cocoa, and enough cream.  It was delicious!
Peanuts

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 22:07:11 »
GIVE IT A TRY  ;D

I did! Made two small ones on Monday and only two small pieces left today  ::)
A big thumbs up from the family.......................looks like I'll be baking some more soon.

Might try the other recipes too, to see how they go down.

Thanks lottiedolly.

Ninny

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 08:42:33 »
Yaaay converting the world to chocolate courgette cake, I always justify making it by saying it is healthy as it is part of my 5 a day  ;D  ;D  ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 13:38:59 »
For pumpkin, I just cut into into small chunks and freeze it from raw. Maybe that is a mistake :)  But then I just add the chunks frozen to soups, etc and cook them, it seems  fine. As long as the recipe calls for them to be mashed up, as their texture does go rather wonky. Of course I imagine that grating could be good too - it's a lot of work though.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 15:35:00 »
I grated mine in the magimix Antipodes, done in a flash. ;D
I made this cake when the recipe was first posted. I loved it because it is not too sweet, but the rest of the family prefer something sweeter so I froze it. I have to report that it freezes exceptionly well and I think it actually tastes better. (I have a slice after lunch, sometimes with plain soya yoghurt over it. Delicious)
Thanks, lottiedolly ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 08:11:45 »
I take a slice out of the freezer in the morning and take it to work with me as part of my lunch as will have defrosted by lunchtime, it is a way of getting my chocolate fix without being too naughty.

never thought of trying it with yogurt or creme fresh, hmmm new ideas  ;D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 22:46:01 »
I left my Mum & sister in charge of greenhouse & garden while we were on holiday (neither of whom is green fingered -  tho i did leave

very simple instructions

Came back to overgrown tomato plants, 6 huge marrows and large slightly stringy french beans. So its roast courgette/garlic  soup for me.

Courgette & chocolate cake sound lovely so will make one when next lot of courgettes are ready  :)

Debs 

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 11:04:12 »
Thanks for the inspiration.    I was very excited by the idea of chocolate courgette cake as I often make large cakes for committee meetings and so on but do like a good hit of serious chocolate.

I ended up doing a combination of the two recipes given and it was delish.  The wee bit left over is even better today for having matured a bit:-

Chocolate Courgette Cake – best eaten the day after baking

450g    courgettes - peeled and grated
180g    chocolate (54%), grated
125ml   grape seed oil
125g   softened butter
360g    soft brown sugar
1 sachet   vanilla sugar
3    eggs
350g    flour
pinch    salt
1 sachet   baking powder
3tbs   100% cocoa powder
130ml   milk

Peel, de seed and grate the courgette then squeeze dry in a clean tea towel.

In the processor, combine the oil, butter and sugar then add the eggs and all the other ingredients in turn till well combined.

Pour into a prepared 10 inch square cake tin and bake at 180C for 45 mins or till done.

Allow to cool in the tin then turn out onto a serving plate and cover with a chocolate ganache.
Obxx - Vendée France

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 11:08:52 »
Thanks for the inspiration.    I was very excited by the idea of chocolate courgette cake as I often make large cakes for committee meetings and so on but do like a good hit of serious chocolate.

I ended up doing a combination of the two recipes given and it was delish.  The wee bit left over is even better today for having matured a bit:-

Chocolate Courgette Cake – best eaten the day after baking

450g    courgettes - peeled and grated
180g    chocolate (54%), grated
125ml   grape seed oil
125g   softened butter
360g    soft brown sugar
1 sachet   vanilla sugar
3    eggs
350g    flour
pinch    salt
1 sachet   baking powder
3tbs   100% cocoa powder
130ml   milk

Peel, de seed and grate the courgette then squeeze dry in a clean tea towel.

In the processor, combine the oil, butter and sugar then add the eggs and all the other ingredients in turn till well combined.

Pour into a prepared 10 inch square cake tin and bake at 180C for 45 mins or till done.

Allow to cool in the tin then turn out onto a serving plate and cover with a chocolate ganache.

Oh my god, chocolate courgette cake has officially been taken to another level of lushness  :-*  That sounds seriously good  ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 12:40:28 »
It is.  My Belgian colleagues loved it and they do know about chocolate.  

I'm just educating them about cakes made with veggies but I don't tell them what's in it till after they've eaten it - chocolate carrot cake, chocolate beetroot cake, carrot cake with bananas, spiced carrot cake and so on have all been a revelation for them.
Obxx - Vendée France

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 14:17:51 »
Hi Obbelix - I would love to try your recipe, what quantity is contained in 1 sachet vaniila sugar & 1 sachet baking powder? sorry if this is a dump question but just about to start making and this threw me a bit

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 11:05:17 »
sorry about spelling meant to say 'dumb' - but if obbelix is not around can any one else help!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 11:16:21 »
I'm not 100% sure if these are the right size but check out Dr. Oetker product page  http://www.oetker.ca/en/product/baking-ingredients/pouch
They list the quantity.
Hope this helps  :) let us know how you get on.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 12:33:17 »
My 'conversion' would be - use self raising flour and a small amount of vanilla essence.  I find that continental flours can be quite different and when I bake a cake from a continental recipe, there may be adjustments necessary after the first bake, for example a little extra baking powder in addition to using SRF.

I make my own vanilla sugar by scraping the insides of a real vanilla pod into a jar of sugar.  I also add the rest of the scraped pod to the sugar.  I have a washed out ready-made pasta sauce jar for this purpose and keep it closed with its original lid.  Shaking distributes the black vanilla dots.  Smells divine, although it is not the same as a packet of continental vanilla sugar.  As the vanilla sugar is being used, the jar can be topped up with fresh sugar quite a few times before the vanilla pod needs replacing.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 13:50:21 »
Thanks Peanuts, I've just put on half a stone after reading your post ;) ;D.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 14:21:05 »
Vanilla sugar sachets are 8g in weight and the baking powder 16g.

Sorry for the confusion but that's the way it's sold in Belgium.  They tend not to use self raising flour and what there is has onlyhalf the oomph of British formulations so I stick to plain flour. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 15:49:19 »
Have just grated the courgetttes and popped back in to see if any one was able to help - you didn't let me down! many thanks off to finish cake - will report back!

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 23:26:28 »
Had to 'tweak' abit here and there through  not having quite the right quantity of chocolate a bit of sour cream etc.  but mm-mm' hey ho the cake is lovely and I am amazed to say 'courgettes what courgettes' if I offer it to any one I will certainly not mentioned courgettes until after they have eaten it.
So thanks to every one contributing to this thread - I now have another recipe for courgettes - now if I can only get my Courgette bread  recipe to work - terrible failure yesterday, but tomorrows another day!!

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 20:04:55 »
Thanks for your recipes... they come in the nick of time as I had about 8 large courgettes in the fridge and was becoming a bit courgetted out.

Courgette cake is now in the oven, and smelling lovely. Have just told husband what's in it and he is looking sceptical. But I am confident it will win him over  :) :)

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 16:35:13 »
I thought I'd give this recipe a go, and blended my courgette (instead of grating).  I'm now worried that I shouldn't have used the 'core' of the courgette, as it seems very watery.  Is this normal, or should I give it a squeeze in a tea towel?

I know this is an old topic, I'm just hoping someone remembers!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal