Author Topic: Cake with eggs - is it dairy-free?  (Read 6092 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Cake with eggs - is it dairy-free?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 22:34:28 »
A friend who is allergic to any part of an egg once ate pastry which had been brushed with milk with a brush that had been used with egg. The poor woman was ill for the best part of a week. :o
Smile, it confuses people.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 05:14:13 »
I'm glad I made some dairy-free cakes because the ladies who ran the cake stall told me that they were  very popular and sold quickly.  They said that next year they will make some which are suitable for diabetics too.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 08:41:02 »
Code: [Select]
next year they will make some which are suitable for diabetics too.Hmmm..I wonder what sort of they will be?..as a diabetic....we do not need any special recipes as such...generally any so call 'diabetic foods'(in shops) are regarded as no-no..they are not any healthier and any 'harmfull' incredients are just replaced with double amount something else which is not any better really..there is still so much false understanding with diabetic diet..
...generally diabetics need just healthy diet..nothing is banned..just avoiding great extremes...low(ish) fat & sugar, high fibre,,nothing unusual about it.
So if any of you have friends with diabetes....please...do not fall the trap in buying any special diabetic stuff...
In fact few years back Boots had to take some diabetic treats off from shelfs as they were so unhealthy...yes they were lower with sugar but the fat content was sky high ::)....I got that issue off from my 'chest' now.. ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 09:51:15 »
As a Diabetic I so agree with you.

Diabetic chocs can put you on the toilet for a couple of days unles you eat it in vey small portions.

I have friends who insist on buying me this stuff and I have not the heart to tell them.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 11:34:03 »
My husband is diabetic too, he eats most everything and doesn't feel the need to tell people. In fact if he does, he sometimes ends up with no pud at all! We remember those awful chocs Betula :o ::) ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 12:20:06 »
i have friend who is deadly allergic to dairy but not to meat. Any none homemade
baked good can be deadly. besides lactose, whey protein is another common allergy from milk.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 16:14:36 »
Hi Squash, its a bit late I know but I ran a thread on dairy free last year and got some great ideas for cakes and puddings, might be useful for next year  ;)

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,56321.0.html

1066  :)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 17:58:40 »
Hi Squash, its a bit late I know but I ran a thread on dairy free last year and got some great ideas for cakes and puddings, might be useful for next year  ;)

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,56321.0.html

1066  :)

Thank you so much 10, that is really helpful.  I'll save it to my favourites because there are lots of ideas there.

Next year I am going to make only dairy-free cakes, except for the chocolate one with a fudge topping which is made with evaporated milk.  Unless there is an evaporated milk substitute?  Mad question, but is chocolate DF?  There is a list of ingredients but it's so small I can't read it.
The ones I made with Pure margarine tasted exactly the same as the Stork ones so I might as well make only DF in future.

Thanks again,  :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 18:19:46 »
Squash Green & Blacks really dark 73% +? used to be dairy free because autistic children could have it. I looked at the ingredients recently & I think it said may contain dairy so I gave it a miss. I used to love a bit occasionally. How did the calorie free chocolate cake do ;) ;D?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 18:30:19 »
A substitute for evaporated milk can be made by adding carnation coffee mate to some soya milk. It may not work for your recipe, I used to make it as a pouring cream for my lactose intolerant child in the days before all the stuff we have now was available.

How about coconut cream? (it is sold in small tins for Thai Curries) Also in blocks which can be let down with warm water, you just use less water. It is just coconut and is totally dairy free.

I rather think coconut cream with the chocolate could prove to be rather nice if you are a bounty bar lover.

Doves flour has a cake recipe which is gluten, dairy free and eggless.

5 oz sugar
6 tablespoons of sunflour oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (seems a lot that)
half a ripe banana peeled and mashed
6oz gluten free Self raising flour
4 tablespoons water

one 7inch cake tin

Beat the sugar oil and vanilla together  beat in the banana then the flour and water... pour into the lined and oiled cake tin Bake for 35 mins

190 C degrees ordinary Oven (170 C degrees fan) that is 375F/ Gas number 5

I suppose the banana must have some quality that replaces the egg. I have not tried the cake, I detest bananas but even if it does not work too well, it could probably still be made into a trifle.

I know the gluten free yorkshire pudding recipe has to beaten for ages to get plenty of air into it and cooked at once, no resting, so my instinct with the eggless cake is that the batter will neet a good seeing to with an electric whisk.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 08:01:27 »
Squash, yes you can get chocolate without dairy. And along with many other things the quality has improved enormously over the years! I recently had choc truffles - oh they were good!!

I'll double check a couple of companies out for you. I'm not sure about Green and Blacks anymore - Cadburys bought them out, who of course were bought out themselves!! I have a shop round the corner from me that has several kinds in so I'll check later

A substitute for evaporated milk can be made by adding carnation coffee mate to some soya milk. It may not work for your recipe,
Now that's worth a try

Oh and I've been abbreviated  8)
Thank you so much 10,

1066  :D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 08:20:50 »
Squash Green & Blacks really dark 73% +? used to be dairy free because autistic children could have it. I looked at the ingredients recently & I think it said may contain dairy so I gave it a miss. I used to love a bit occasionally. How did the calorie free chocolate cake do ;) ;D?

If only..........  ;)
I think it was ok, I didn't eat any myself but someone came back for a second helping so it can't have been too bad.

I'll check out Green & Blacks when I go shopping, thanks for that.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 08:22:30 »
A substitute for evaporated milk can be made by adding carnation coffee mate to some soya milk. It may not work for your recipe, I used to make it as a pouring cream for my lactose intolerant child in the days before all the stuff we have now was available.

How about coconut cream? (it is sold in small tins for Thai Curries) Also in blocks which can be let down with warm water, you just use less water. It is just coconut and is totally dairy free.

I rather think coconut cream with the chocolate could prove to be rather nice if you are a bounty bar lover.

Doves flour has a cake recipe which is gluten, dairy free and eggless.

5 oz sugar
6 tablespoons of sunflour oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (seems a lot that)
half a ripe banana peeled and mashed
6oz gluten free Self raising flour
4 tablespoons water

one 7inch cake tin

Beat the sugar oil and vanilla together  beat in the banana then the flour and water... pour into the lined and oiled cake tin Bake for 35 mins

190 C degrees ordinary Oven (170 C degrees fan) that is 375F/ Gas number 5

I suppose the banana must have some quality that replaces the egg. I have not tried the cake, I detest bananas but even if it does not work too well, it could probably still be made into a trifle.

I know the gluten free yorkshire pudding recipe has to beaten for ages to get plenty of air into it and cooked at once, no resting, so my instinct with the eggless cake is that the batter will neet a good seeing to with an electric whisk.

Thanks for all that, it's very helpful.

I love the thought of coconut cream and chocolate so I will definitely try that. :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 08:24:46 »
Oh and I've been abbreviated  8)
Thank you so much 10,
1066  :D

I know, I couldn't help it - I always think of you as Ten Sixty-Six with Ten as your first name.   :D
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 09:06:39 »
I have been calling him Hastings lately ;D
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 13:34:21 »
love it squash - never thought of it like that

and now to Jeannine -
him

:o  :o  :o   :o   :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o

well not when I last looked  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal