Author Topic: Poorly pumpkin :(  (Read 854 times)

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
Poorly pumpkin :(
« on: August 10, 2010, 02:28:30 »
My pumpkin plant doesnt seem to be fairing to well @ the moment.  So far i have only had 1 female flower & that has only emerged in the last week or so.  Also the stem has gone yellow along with one of the leaves which has yellow patches.

Is my pumpkin poorly or is to do with the varity?  Do Atlantic giants fruit @ a later time?  Im pretty sure my Jack o'lanterns had @ least 2 fruits per plant this time last year.
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Poorly pumpkin :(
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:35:20 »
That variety really  should have fruit on by now to be sure to get it to  full maturity but that 1 flower may do it if you get a male one quickly.

n I think it is hungry.I would give the plant a feed, aged manure as a mulch, a handful of organic all purpose around the base or a good spray of seaweed foliar spray.

Just check the stem to make sure there is no break in it, I don't think so as I would expect it to go limp rather than yellow but take alook to be sure.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 07:06:57 »
My one has very yellow stems.  But it also has a good sized pumpkin.  If it has a female flower and no male I would suggest asking someone for a male flower and handpollinating.   And like Jeannine says feed it, I am not sure you can ever give a pumpkin too much food. ;D

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:45:19 »
Thanks for that guys.  I know pumpkins are greedy buggers.  This 1 is growing on a bed of pure manure & just some compost from an old grow bag from last year.  I knew it would be a big plant but OMG  I wasnt expecting this lol.  Somebody said that they like a drink of beer, do u recon that would perk him up a bit??
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal