Author Topic: creaking door bird?  (Read 7877 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
creaking door bird?
« on: August 09, 2010, 22:37:41 »
Last week or so there has been a new sound in the woods....really sounds like a creaking door that needs oiling. Can't think for the life of me who the singer might be....a mystery. Any ideas?

Can't think of a better description......

We're in woody Hampshire by the way, if that helps

CLx

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
Re: creaking door bird?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 23:41:51 »
That'll almost certainly be a juvenile Long-Eared Owl ... a pig to find 'cos not only do they (usually) wait until after dark to start calling, but it'll be at the top of a tree and it turns it's head as it calls so the sound seems to come from different directions as you get close. I was fortunate to find a nest locally about 20 years ago that was in the top of an oak that was growing near the bottom of a 50ft bank ... from the top of the bank we could see straight into the nest ... just like on the telly  8)

The adults knew we were there, they came over to have a look, but didn't seem worried if we stayed still. One of the adults (can't remember which) has an alarm call like a dog barking ... quite un-nerving from halfway up a tree in the dark !!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 04:03:59 »

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php

Here is an interesting site where you can hear all sorts of identified owl songs including the Long-eared owl.
We had one once in the top of an evergreen- he sat there all day and didn't seem to mind us coming out to check on him.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:24:32 »
Oh how exciting! Found an audio clip and although I can't say it was exact the descriptions certainly fit - thanks!
I heard this while it was still light - yesterday evening and over the weekend. Definitely came from up high and I'd say from well within the woods.

We hear lots of amazing different calls but it is rare to be able to spot the caller. Have seen Barn Owls hunting during the day swooping across a quiet path but that's not so rare.

Must be some hungry long-eared owls out there somewhere!

CLx

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 16:14:36 »
Oh how exciting! Found an audio clip and although I can't say it was exact the descriptions certainly fit - thanks!
I heard this while it was still light - yesterday evening and over the weekend. Definitely came from up high and I'd say from well within the woods.

We hear lots of amazing different calls but it is rare to be able to spot the caller. Have seen Barn Owls hunting during the day swooping across a quiet path but that's not so rare.

Must be some hungry long-eared owls out there somewhere!

CLx

Could it be there is a regional difference in their calls? Eg. we have many Barred Owls that sound spooky and they listed the song for a Hybrid Barred Owl that was positively frighteniing and somewhat different than ours.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 00:22:39 »
hehe...looking at these calls I wonder whether I have heard the adults - almost like a bark?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal