Author Topic: psb bolting?  (Read 1869 times)

anemone

• Half Acre
psb bolting?
« on: July 11, 2009, 23:37:00 »
one of my psb plants is sprouting already  ??? It was only planted out on the 10th of May. I've never grown them before but wasn't expecting it to do anything until next year.

has this happened to anyone else?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: psb bolting?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 23:38:58 »
What variety is it?
The Tuscan Beaneater

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 23:39:36 »
it's 'Rudolph'

midnightvelvet

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:15:30 »
one of my psb plants is sprouting already  ??? It was only planted out on the 10th of May. I've never grown them before but wasn't expecting it to do anything until next year.

has this happened to anyone else?

What is PSB please?

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:18:15 »
What is PSB please?

Purple sprouting broccoli.

What are you doing up at this time of night?

midnightvelvet

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 03:42:47 »

Ah right....I'm up this time of night coz I suffer with insomnia quite badly.  Will be making and effort to sleep shortly....how about you?

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 03:45:26 »
I try very hard to get to bed before the sun shines.

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 07:07:57 »
I suspect if you planted in out in May, that is too early.

I would sow early psb in mid May, and plant it out towards the end of June when it is a few inches tall.

You never know your luck though, maybe it turns out it isn't purple at all, but green Calabrese  ;D

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 15:27:11 »
Just reviving this old thread. The question is, will PSB bolt and if it does, is it detrimental to the plant. I planted mine out about 4 weeks ago and it has central green florets and some yellow flowers, is this bolting? It's about 2 foot high. I've searched through the old posts and the jury seems to be still out on this one. I'm a first time PSB grower so no previous knowledge to fall back on  :-\  Happy daze  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 15:29:55 »
Just reviving this old thread. The question is, will PSB bolt and if it does, is it detrimental to the plant. I planted mine out about 4 weeks ago and it has central green florets and some yellow flowers, is this bolting? It's about 2 foot high. I've searched through the old posts and the jury seems to be still out on this one. I'm a first time PSB grower so no previous knowledge to fall back on  :-\  Happy daze  :)
yep, cut them off quickly and you should get some side shoots, we still eat them tops, even the small flower buds  ;D

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 17:48:42 »
yep, cut them off quickly and you should get some side shoots, we still eat them tops, even the small flower buds  ;D

Thanx for that. There's something new to learn every day  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal