Author Topic: Old seed varieties  (Read 4396 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Old seed varieties
« on: August 06, 2010, 15:08:58 »
Was give a few bean seed   Old seed varieties  here on this site

grew well so was wondering where can you get

Old seed varieties  from ??

and do any of you grow them ??
i don't belive death is the end

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Old seed varieties
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 17:42:41 »
Most of what I grow is old seed varieties.  If you care to say which varieties you have grown, I might know a seed source for you.

Can't promise to find all of them.  In many cases old seed comes from seed savers who have multiplied seed and shared it.   Beans are not difficult, you might think about saving your own.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 17:48:26 »
The HDRA Seed Library is good. Quite a few of the things I grow regularly originally came from there. And once you've got the plants you can save your own - I've just collected in the purple-podded broad beans for sowing next year.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 17:52:27 »
Most of what I grow is old seed varieties.  If you care to say which varieties you have grown, I might know a seed source for you.

Can't promise to find all of them.  In many cases old seed comes from seed savers who have multiplied seed and shared it.   Beans are not difficult, you might think about saving your own.

Well the only ones i have tried so far in Old types are  ,
Lazy housewife
Mrs fortune
Tiger stripe
Trail of tears

And had good results so far
 :)

i don't belive death is the end

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 18:05:12 »
Best so far for me is Manitoba Purple Mennonite Stripe....

It's a big bean in a long pod and it climbs, yet seems to have beaten all the other shelling beans I've got to a useable crop..... I'm hoping that when I go to the plot on Sunday I'll be able to harvest a decent number of different sorts so I can have a side-by side trial for their culinary worth.... wierdly the best of them will thn be hardly touched again this year so I can increase my seedstock  ::)

Finaly got to eat some yin-yang a few days ago and they're very nice so I'll be growing them again.... they were from self-saved seed from some plants I had last year that didn't get looked after very well and ended up being shoved in the back a flowerbed at my mum and  dad's place.

chrisc

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 18:29:21 »
The HDRA Seed Library is good. Quite a few of the things I grow regularly originally came from there. And once you've got the plants you can save your own - I've just collected in the purple-podded broad beans for sowing next year.

Now called the Heritage Seed Library...

My favourite Heritage Variety is Madeira Maroon; and I've just kicked out some Ernie's Big Eye out of crispy shells as part of my Bean Project.....http://linearlegume.blogspot.com/search/label/Ernie%27s%20Big%20Eye

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 23:59:43 »

Well the only ones i have tried so far in Old types are  ,
Lazy housewife
Mrs fortune
Tiger stripe
Trail of tears

Graceland, the Cherokee Trail of Tears can be purchased from RealSeeds, where you can also read the rather sad story that goes with this bean:
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/beans.html

Mrs Fortune and Lazy Housewife are available to members of the Heritage Seed Library.  I'm sorry I don't know Tiger Stripe.

Have a look at this supplier of old varieties of beans:
http://www.beansandherbs.co.uk/heirloombeanseed.htm

Amongst many others they stock the Madeira Maroon that aj mentioned.

If you are hooked on the older and more interesting beans (I'm just a little bit biased :-)), it is a good idea to think about seed saving yourself and joining the Heritage Seed Library.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 01:23:51 »

Now called the Heritage Seed Library...

My favourite Heritage Variety is Madeira Maroon; and I've just kicked out some Ernie's Big Eye out of crispy shells as part of my Bean Project.....http://linearlegume.blogspot.com/search/label/Ernie%27s%20Big%20Eye

I've got some Ernies.... hoping they'll be ready for a picking this weekend, you're so right about them being good looking... my seed stock was quite old so I'm chuffed by the way the plants turned out.... solid stocky looking bushes with lots of pods....

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 01:29:21 »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 01:35:08 »
Thomas Etty has both climbing and dwarf versions of Lazy Wife.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 08:56:34 »
My favourite is Mrs Lewis's purple podded also from HSL.  The beans look great, feel great, taste wonderful and simply drip off the plants.   Loving Hungarian Wax (HSL) as well and Pisarecka Zlutoluske (HeritageHarvest).  The latter is a very speedy beaner.

Saving seed from french beans is very easy make sure the pods are really dry to a crisp before you remove the beans.   I am hoping to run a pea/bean swap so save some seeds and join in.

Garden Organic (HSL) also have seed swaps on their potato days I picked up all sorts there, so that saved seed comes in very handy there as well. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 16:59:26 »

Is it the white seeded climbing Lazy Wife or the pink seeded Lazy Housewife?  There exist a few beans with that name unfortunately.  The one from Heritage seed library is pink seeded and has the long, curved pods.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 18:10:11 »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 18:18:29 »

Is it the white seeded climbing Lazy Wife or the pink seeded Lazy Housewife?  There exist a few beans with that name unfortunately.  The one from Heritage seed library is pink seeded and has the long, curved pods.

That I don't know. I hadn't realised there were different forms.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal