Author Topic: Cost of Birmingham's allotments  (Read 23034 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Cost of Birmingham's allotments
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 13:52:14 »
I agree with you Shirl.  Some people might read that and think it's ok to be filling/emptying at the same time.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010, 15:09:08 »
when I was secretary of my old site, I offered a payment plan to the plot holders (we had quite a few who were unemployed), so that they could pay a bit every so often, and by rent time they could have their rent already paid (or the bulk of it), but no one took it on. I reckon they would now though.

I would love some sort of payment plan like that on our site.  The only problem is our secretary is so unapproachable @ the best of times.  Due to this a lot of plot holders have chosen to pay directly to the council, which is sad as the site itself looses money  as you have already stated.  So i think if we asked for something like this her head would explode!!
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2010, 09:51:18 »
I am not far from you and there are no such problems on our site.  Interesting how different things are on different sites.

By the way I take my hat off to you, twins, allottment and daily living needs.

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2010, 23:28:22 »
Thx tomatoada, the allotment is a slow process but there is no point breaking my back over it otherwise i wouldnt enjoy it. Where abouts in birmingham are you?
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 07:36:19 »
I suppose that receiving payments multiplies the work x4.  But also the hassle x4. 

Is it not possible to pay yourself a couple of pounds a week to pay for the veg from your allotment and so build up a little pot of money so you have enough for the rent?

It seems odd to me that people of 60 are getting a reduced fee even if they do not need the discount and that families who are struggling do not get a concession. 

Lisa-BDAC

• Not So New ...
    • Birmingham & District Allotments Council
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 11:02:37 »
I am speaking as a fellow plot holder when I say that it is a common occurance that when a plot holder reaches 60, they take on another plot. This is partly because they may have more time but it is governed by the half price concession they receive.

Admittedly mulltiple plots are now discouraged, but it is not uncommon for a pensioner to have 2 or more plots.  We also have to take into consideration that they kept the allotments going in past years, during a long period of time when allotments were not popular.

I think they should have half price on the first plot and pay full price for any more they may have.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2010, 11:23:03 »
One plot is enough for me and I am grateful for the concession, but do agree that now the mortgage is paid and have no children to feed or clothe, what with free travel and free swimming etc am not too badly off.  Found it much harder to manage when had a mortgage to pay and children to support.  Also as I am retired go to the allotment almost every day, so get good value for money, but don't tell the Council, as I like getting it half price.  ;D ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2010, 16:08:13 »
So now that allotments are the in thing its ok to take them off the pensioners unless they pay full price if they have more than one. When I look around our site its the pesioners plots that are the most productive and are well cultivated.I'm not saying that some of the younger folks don't have worked plots but some do need a lot of attention.Like you said Lisa us pensioners kept the plots going when nobody wanted an allotment.I don't see why we should be targeted to help fill the councils coffers. What did they do for money when there were only a few plots taken on each site.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Lisa-BDAC

• Not So New ...
    • Birmingham & District Allotments Council
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2010, 18:18:03 »
I am all for pensiones on allotments and totally against taking them off them.  We had one on our site who the council had targetted to give up a plot because he had 5, and they wanted to help reduce the waiting lists.  All of his plots are immaculate and probably the best on the site.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2010, 19:31:35 »
Thx tomatoada, the allotment is a slow process but there is no point breaking my back over it otherwise i wouldnt enjoy it. Where abouts in birmingham are you?
I am on a small site on the Northfied Bournville border.  We all get on really well.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2010, 19:39:40 »
When I first had my last Allotment I had two plots,I could have had half the site as not many were interested then.Gradually it become in vogue to have an allotment and the site filled up,I had a few sniffy comments but I did not care.

Give pensioners full concessions on all their plots I say........they deserve it. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal