Author Topic: Red Mite  (Read 3029 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Red Mite
« on: July 27, 2010, 16:00:27 »
Went to clean the chickens out today & the dreaded red mite is in there. I've got the spray & powder but what is the best way to apply the powder to the hens please? I read it's best to do at bed time, should be fun ;). I've taken all the hemcore out & OH has hoovered where I can't reach. I presume I spray, leave it to work then add the hemcore to base & nest boxes.

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Red Mite
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 16:37:09 »
What fun you have in store grannyjanny!!

What I used to do with the powder on the birds is upend them and hold them by their legs they stop struggling quite quickly and I used my other hand to powder them - It is easier when they are upside down as you can get into their wing and bum fluffy area.  It is a bit hit and miss but if you have someone that will help it makes it a bit easier.

They tend to be a bit floppy briefly so I generally laid them down (gently) and they recouped quite quickly.  Remember that if you are putting them to bed at the same time that you pop the ones that you have done in so that they don't get a double dose!

Sadly I don't have chooks up my lottie at the moment.  I had someone come in and do the dirty deed last Friday and it is sooooooo quiet up there now!

I will get some more when I retire properly which won't be for a few years yet!

O B

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 17:14:04 »
Thank you OB. So sorry to hear about your chooks. It must be very strange for you :'(.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 22:00:52 »
Thanks for the tips OB, the dastardly deed has been done. All tucked up in bed ;).

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:48:29 »
I'd put the powder in where they take a dust bath as well.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 07:10:38 »
When I dust mine..I sit down..put the chicken on my lap on its back..legs sticking up in the air.. ;D..they normally stop struggling when helpless like that and then you can give good rub with powder..mind though..be prepared to be powdered yourself to..and not only your nose.. :-X ;) ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 08:15:54 »
Oh dear. Four chickens don't like me anymore ;).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:34 »
Well then...nothing to loose ;D...mind though..they may change their mind when they get good 'belly rub' from you ;D..and gentle tap on the bottom.. ;D

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:10 »
Red mite is causing me and the OH a head ache at the moment cant seem to get rid of them. Have been following the instructions on the bottle of smite powder. cleaning the coop out then using the liquid formula and have also dusted the hens we held them by their legs like O.B to make sure we got every where. We did the coop 7 days later as per the instructions and I've been down this morning and have noticed a few again!!!

Has anyone got anymore tips or maybe a powder that works better?

Thanks Lucy

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 15:08:48 »
Hi Lucy..You have done just like you should...but getting rid of mites is not easy..and it doesn't happen even after two treatments..each treatment will reduce the numbers and those mites that will 'hatch' between the treatments. You don't get rid of them totally at all..but you just manage the numbers so they do not cause problems. Many have said "that once you got them..you'll always got them"
I always recommend 3 repeated treatments after problem is discovered..and then is just routine dusting now and then..and if numbers are kept low..then maybe just once a year thorough spring clean.

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 22:10:30 »
Do all you can now and in the winter months they will die down but as mentioned once there in my experience they will always be there just make sure you always protect after every clean out etc.

I had a really bad time with them last summer but now every 3rd day i just dust down there laying box and the perch and this really keeps on top of them. 

Good luck

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 09:42:31 »
Thanks guys my minds now at rest thought i must have been doing something wrong!  ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 13:48:14 »
Lucy. I read on a previous post about painting surgical spirit on the underside of the perches. I did that & I've checked each evening & there was no sign on the perches.

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 14:19:57 »
Another thing that i've read is to put vasaline on the ends of the petches.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 16:37:46 »
I was told that too but I'd already bought the surgical spirit ;D. Also to sprinkle mite powder  when the SS has dried.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 22:37:55 »
I hope you can resolve the red mite problem.

I am fairly new to keeping chickens, can you tell me any one what you use as a treatment  powder/ spray etc  specifically for red mite and if different what you use for generally to prevent them

Thank you

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 08:36:55 »
Hiya,

I had a bad infestation last year, or rather it got out of control before I noticed it! I found that Poultry Shield did nothing, they just swam in it.

What worked for me was a 50/50 mix of water and domestos, applied via hand pumped spay thing. Then the coop was creosoted (using the new pretend creosote).

Also I use the bug spray that contains pyrethum, this seems to kill them pretty well.

There are powders that contain pyrethum and I find they work better than the mite powders, which I think are just a detterent. Best of all it's a natural ingredient.

However they have come back this year, so except from burning the house I don't think I'll ever be rid of them. Agh, just thinking about it makes me itch  :(

Good luck!!!

Jon

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 09:22:56 »
I use Diatom on the ends of the roosting bars where the dreaded beasties like to gather and if I puff it generously into the nest box, dust bath etc the hens automatically get it in the areas where it does most good.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal