Author Topic: need new ideas for the herb bed  (Read 1936 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
need new ideas for the herb bed
« on: August 04, 2010, 16:57:57 »
I have a large border in which I cultivate herbs. It is at least half filled by a lemon balm. I have come to the conclusion this year that actually this is a waste of space and that I would be better off getting rid of the silly lemon balm and planting more useful herbs. But what? The bed currently has some rampant mint around the water barrels (but I just hack it back a bit and it's OK), two small thyme bushes, a small rosemary that only went in this spring, some lemon verbena, russian tarragon, parsley, and a lovely purple sage bush in the corner. OK that sounds like a lot already! But what could I put in to replace the lemon balm once I dig it out? Something perennial would be nice, or at least something that will self seed. A true verbena for tea? Is there another small shrubby herb I could plant? or even something flowering...
I guess anything new will actually need to be planted in autumn or early spring, but just to get an idea in case I stumble across something.
You guys are always full of ideas!   
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: need new ideas for the herb bed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 17:47:45 »
What about something tall like lovage or fennel. The fennel is pretty but be warned it will self seed like crazy ;D both are perennial.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 17:52:03 »
Ihave somebronze fennel and cotton lavender,woodruff, 3 different sages including tricolour  ;D
oh, forgot my camomile for tea  ;D

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 18:00:56 »
The one I use the most is my lemon thyme. Lovely sprinkled over a chicken before roasting. The greek oregano and golden marjoram are the next most used after the thyme. :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 18:04:47 »
Manic ......... how do you use woodruff?
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 18:07:05 »
Manic ......... how do you use woodruff?
I only got it this year, it's flowering for the insects at the mo, it will go in pot pourri later  ;D
oh, forgot my chocolate mint, that's in it'sown pot, oh, and lemon verbena and stevia but they are in pots and will be brought in in autumn  :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 18:23:45 »
I would suggest some winter savoury as a perennial or maybe some Monarda  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 18:26:37 »
Just don't put wild rocket in. (Jekka McVicar calls this a herb). I made a herb bed last year and it has now been completely swamped by the rocket! Tasty but rampant!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 19:03:20 »
Good luck on getting rid of lemon balm which took me years to irradicate, same for mint.

If you have enough herbs what about a small edible-petaled rose bush- mind you I've never eaten them but
have been intrigued by recipes calling for rose water and such.

Poppies for poppy seeds.

Scented geraniums

Cilantro

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 19:09:31 »
Origano (origanum vulgare) essential in any Italian tomotoey pasta sauce, and it's perennial.  Another useful perennial is chives.

I have French tarragon, which I rooted from a bag I bought from a supermarket.  It is borderling tender, but having left my pots outside last winter, and it survived, is another possibility.

Dill is an annual, but it goes really well with fish.

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 19:14:54 »
P.S. If it's a really sheltered spot, you could try a small bay tree.  If it's not sheltered, well you could always wrap it in fleece in the severest Winter. ;D

valmarg

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 20:43:31 »
Anise hyssop for tea. I freeze some in ice cubes for during the winter.

Nasturtiums aren't perennial, at least not here, but the flowers are peppery and so pretty in a salad especially if one doesn't have any tomatoes ripe. Plus they don't take up much space.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 09:48:27 »
Wow! you guys were inspired.
I forgot to say that the place is quite sheltered, it backs onto the shed. It is also regularly infested with bindweed, I am going to try and dig out as much as possible when I redo the bed.
There are lots of plants mentioned that I am unfamiliar with...I will have to look them up. What is savoury? Does anyone know the scientific name?
Camomile! Great idea! I will have to research how you use it for tea though.
Fennel - AAAARRRRGGGH I HATE THAT! I was overwhelmed by wildly self seeded fennel this year and I just spent hours hacking it all down and digging up the roots! SO I guess that's out!
Oregano! I always thought it was an annual... Might have to go to the garden centre for that one.
Tarragon - I managed to get some Russian tarragon going from seed. It's tasty, not quite the same as French tarragon though. It seems to be a perennial as it popped back in the spring after dying back. Again the French variety might be a garden centre job...
Nasturtiums - could make good ground cover for the space behind the plants! Great idea.
Bay - I already have a bay bush in another spot. I give it no protection in winter here and it seems fine. Our winters are cold and wet but rarely very very cold. It survived our very cold winter this year.
Rocket! Ha already have it self seeded in many spaces on the allotment! It spends most of its time goind to flower! I like the way it looks though and usually leave it.
Coriander - I find this tough to grow, I love the leaves but they just seem to go so quickly to seed.

No one mentioned basil, which admittedly is an annual but I have never managd to grow it outdoors!!! Shame, I would love to havemore of it, so many varieties too...

Such great ideas, a few things to look up in there. Thanks!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 09:55:23 »
winter savoury is Satureja montana, quite low growing, shrubby like, looks like a cross between rosemary and thyme - I use it a lot - there is a summer savoury but that is an annual - the Oregano is a nice idea it has such lovely flowers and don't forget chives and garlic chives, also very pretty and pretty tasty as well  ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 10:17:24 »
Oh I forgot to mention that I have chives growing wild in just about every corner of the allotment! No garlic chives though ... hmmm
Oh and I definitely agree about the lemon balm being a pain! I have two bushes and in the winter they are both coming out, But last spring I already hacked one of them right down and it just came back bigger and better! I am going to replace one (in the actual plot) with either a new rhubarb or an artichoke and then the one in the herb bed I want to replace with herbs.

Oregano - I actually have seeds for that! BUt failed to get them going properly this spring... I tried them indoors but I think that was a mistake, I will try in pots outdoors and see if I can get it going that way.

Was not familiar with savoury but i see now what it is. In fact, I have to look up all the scientific names, then find the French name for the plant so I can go about obtaining some! Savoury is what we call Sarriette and it is in fact a common herb here, used a bit like thyme to sprinkle on meat dishes. So that should be an easy one to find. It has pretty flowers too!  I also looked up Monarda, that looks gorgeous! But I am not sure where I could obtain that from...

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 10:47:58 »
Oh dear I have been on the Graines de Baumaux seed site. SO many nice things! They have seeds of everything you all mentioned, more or less! But a little pricey: about 2 or 3 euros per packet. They have a beautful variety of Monarda called the Monarda Didyma with luscious purple flowers. They also sell seeds for:
Licorice plant
catnip
hyssop
curry plant
angelica
rue
stevia
nigella
seed poppies
the list is endless! As well as the usual varieties of thyme, marjoram, dill, rosemary, basil etc.

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 16:28:57 »

Camomile! Great idea! I will have to research how you use it for tea though.

You pick the daisies and can use them fresh or dried. Just steep them in boiling water for a few mins and then strain them.

I spent alot of time in Greece when I was at uni and every Thursday morning they had a laiki (green market) where all the local farmers sold their produce. You would have a whole table just piled high with camomile flowers. They use camomile tea alot to ease sore tummies. :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 23:00:57 »
I was going to suggest Winter Savoury but Calendula beat me to it!  :-X

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 23:26:05 »
From your list antipodes, I think I would give rue a miss.  It is not very useful  herbwise/medicinely, but if you are allergic to it, it can really give you a nasty reaction.  Apparentlly, if you hack back the plant, and your skin is exposed to sunshine afterwards, it can cause a really bad allergic reaction.  Really nasty blisters, permanent scarring.

On a lighter note, another herb we have is Good king henry, chaenopodium bonus henricus.  It is a perennial, but also very readily seeds itself.  The leaves can be used in place of spinach, and have a slightly asparagus taste.

valmarg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 01:46:04 »
Antipodes there is a good link I put on a previous  thread for a Canadian herb place that has tons of info..I use it as refernence all the time.

It is really helpful when you want to browse and have a think

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,60736.0.html

Oregano, I only like the Greek  XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:47:46 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal