Produce > Edible Plants

Conferance Pears

(1/3) > >>

The gardener:
I have been asked a question from a friend, who's friend has a conference pear tree.

Apparently she has had it for nine years , it is supposedly 'self fertile' it always has plenty of blossom but 'No Pears'

My first thought were of Pollination i.e. the blossom appears during a cold spell when there are very few pollinators about (if any).

Thats about all I could think of, is there anyone out there, perhaps with experience of this, who could spread more light on the problem?

.... in anticipation....ta very much

tim:
I see that it's only partially self-fertile. Ring Ken Muir - he knows it all!  Even in a cold spell, one would expect an overlap of pollinating times? = Tim

Muddy_Boots:
Quite a few of the top fruit growers down here keep bee hives in the orchards.  However, those who don't sometimes plant phacelia (californian bluebell) round the orchard as the plant is so very attractive to bees

She could try sowing some near to the pear tree!  Added bonus being they are a lovely shade of blue!

Kate

Hot_Potato:
:) Your so right about Ken Muir being the man to ask....I used to work for him down at Weeley Heath, Nr. Clacton-on-Sea when I lived that way.....it was really interesting and eye opening....I was however, in the office and not involved in anything to do with the growing of things tho - well not the physical side of it .....a real nice man.....wish I could remember the things I learned whilst I was there tho!!   :'( H.P.

tim:
- small world? = Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version