Author Topic: Communal greenhouse? information please  (Read 2091 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Communal greenhouse? information please
« on: July 26, 2010, 17:17:50 »
Our local paper is giving grants of up to £5,000 for community groups so I thought of applying for money for a large greenhouse for the allotments.

If your site has one, what size is it, who uses it, is Rhino a good make? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Communal greenhouse? information please
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 18:04:51 »
We got a grant for ours a few years back.

The plan was it was to encourage disabled people onto the site, but we never got anyone interested.

Oddly enough the quango who authorised the grant have never been back to see how things are going.

So to keep it in working order in the event that a disabled person/s come along a few of us have taken it over as a temporary measure ( I have been in it three or four years now.)

Not sure what size it is but I would say 40 ft long by 20 ft wide seems about right,

This is it; ( I have the middle bed)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 18:20:10 »
Our new one is a 20x14' rhino and we're very plaesed with it, it has double doors and a ramp into it as our disabled group have use of it, we also have some people without their own greenhouse who have a space in it  :)
it has shading all along one side, blinds that we can raise and release, also we got staging and racks as we are using it to bring on plants for the annual plant sale, once that is over, members can grow in there, ours is on a paved base , it also has 4 vents either side and large rop bars to hang baskets on ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 19:48:34 »
Thanks Manics and Tee Gee.  I'm going to mention it at our committee meeting this week and see what they think of the idea.

How much did they cost, and were they put up for you?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 20:09:52 »

How much did they cost, and were they put up for you?

Sorry I can' thelp you with the cost,and regarding 'erecting' we on site erected it ourselves to save money.

We received a grant which covered number of things!

Things such as huts and security.

The secretary who organized all this has since died and with him all the details.

The monies came from one of those goodie goodie quangos so I have no way of finding out as I believe it doesn't exist either.

So I guess you will have to check with your local authority if their is money available.

Best of luck on that one.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 16:32:53 »
the greenhouse was 4,800 +500.00 for fixing it, this included staging, shades and racks, I think the staging was thrown in as a special offer
total grant was 6,881  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal