Author Topic: Blue Himalayan Poppies  (Read 1877 times)

Kepouros

• Hectare
Blue Himalayan Poppies
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:15:08 »
I took this about 4 weeks ago, took the card out of the camera, then couldn`t remember where I`d put it.

I grew 5 plants from seed 45 years ago, but there is only one place in my garden where they will grow, and I lost 3 of the plants finding this out.  I shall allow a few seed pods to ripen this year, so if anyone wants any........

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Blue Himalayan Poppies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 18:04:11 »
How on earth did you get them to germinate? I've tried and tried, and got nowhere. But if you've got spare seed,. I'll have another go!

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 19:59:30 »
Ingenuity and perseverance, Robert.  With a pocketful of nicked seed pods I could hardly ask the Head Gardener at Wisley for his advice on sowing, so I sowed a few seeds in each of about 2 dozen small pots and subjected them all to varying periods of warm greenhouse, refrigerator, warm greenhouse in that order.  I used a  3:1 peat/sand compost with Chempak seed base.  I know that only one pot produced seedlings, but I`m afraid that after 45 years I certainly can`t remember what precise treatment it had.

Never fear, there`ll be enough seed for you to do as I did, but you`ll have to let me know where to send it when it`s ready

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:39:03 »
They are beautiful  :)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:25 »
lovely plants
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT