Author Topic: what do you think about these choices of hens?  (Read 2749 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
what do you think about these choices of hens?
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:03 »
2 x silkie (hopefully one with a puff ball head), 1 x amber star, 1 x black rock, 1 x daisybelle, 1 x speckled star, 1 x whitestar.

This is 7, but we are looking for 6 out of the combination above.

Would they be ok together? They will be in a hen house about 4'x6' and with a run about 10'x8' all fenced in.

We are making the chicken area out of where our koi pond is. It has a concrete base and walls, which will be filled in and we will leave the walls in to above ground level and build the frame around this. This will mean that there is no way a fox could dig under so I am hoping this helps with keeping them out.

Here is the pond, which we will be using to make the run.

The guy wth the net was buying some of our large koi and a sturgeon.

here is a pic of him catching the sturgeon (diamond) which was about 3.5ft in length.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: what do you think about these choices of hens?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:30:45 »
Hi Sparkly. I would be careful of the Silkie. I really wanted a Silkie but after reports of problems with them & huge vet bills I am so glad I didn't. One I heard of spent £200 on vet bills. I've heard of lots with breathing problems. I was advised to start with common hens & then go onto ornamentals but I won't bother now. I've got 4 Plymouth Rock bantams & would like a couple of Speckledy's.

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:52:39 »
Thanks grannyjanny. They just look so cute!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:21:46 »
That's why I wanted them ;D but you will fall in love with your girls. They are so funny. I'm not to good at the moment so OH gets up to let them out at 6am while I have a sleep. Today at 8am they were going mad. It was so loud I thought it was over the road, our girls are at the back. I came down & went out to give them chicken spice & bokashi bran in food bowl (OH is to generous). They still wouldn't shut up. They wanted their weeds. All was then quiet until they want something else or lay an egg. A very proud moment, they sometimes like to tell the world. When we go out they start clucking when they hear the car return. When we run the taps in the kitchen they march. When they want something they gather in the corner of their run then march up & down. They love a bowl of steamed rice with peas & sweatcorn & I put some olive oil on it for them. Corn on the cob too.
Two were broody recently & only one was laying & a broody would sit on the egg. Sorry not allowed. She would squark until I had removed the egg.
I think I'd better stop rabbiting or should that be chickening ;).

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 14:38:38 »
From your choices I have Black rocks.  They have laid eggs well but not as well as advertised.  Averaging 4-5 per week.  I also have White leghorns.  These lay very large eggs most days,  6-7 per week and have laid well for the past 4 years.  This will be their last year of production before being replaced. 

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 15:24:20 »
Are your white leghorns the same as 'white star' http://www.peartreepoultry.co.uk/hybrids.php#hybrids8
?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 21:03:30 »
I had a Kami Kasi silkie years ago, my chickens roamed free as there were no usual dangers .We lived on the side of a high sided  river, it would go out of the garden, go to the edge, flap it's wings, scream out then jump. We think it was trying to get to the other side. I went in that river several times to get the daft thing back and in the end gave it to a silkie breeder who kept his penned up.

He was lovely, white with a black purple skin and comb.

They are a delicacy here in the Oriental supermarket, I see them in the freezer complete with head.

Super birds, but watch it if you have a river ;D ;D

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:23:04 »
goldlines are a very good choice for beginners. Very friendly placid birds and good layers. They look like your story book hens, plump and brown. I have been so tempted to try putting a headscarf on mine and clipping a basket to their wings

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 11:55:48 »
I had a Kami Kasi silkie years ago, my chickens roamed free as there were no usual dangers .We lived on the side of a high sided  river, it would go out of the garden, go to the edge, flap it's wings, scream out then jump. We think it was trying to get to the other side. I went in that river several times to get the daft thing back and in the end gave it to a silkie breeder who kept his penned up.

::) This made me LOL  ;D

They are a delicacy here in the Oriental supermarket, I see them in the freezer complete with head

Note sure about seeing them in a freezer complete with heads...  :o

mat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal