Author Topic: offered an extra plot  (Read 3034 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
offered an extra plot
« on: July 30, 2010, 17:58:12 »
Hi
I'd like your opinions and ideas.
I've been offered another plot on our site. Now I don't really want a discussion on the rights and wrongs of more than 1 plot, we can do that on another thread  ;) What I would like to know is whether or not you would take this plot and why. My 1st instinct was to say no, but I've been thinking about it this afternoon and decided to write a pros and cons list

Pros
It is more land
I could grow more things
I can use it for what I want, as long as I use it
It’s quiet and secluded
It gets a bit water-logged on one part of it in winter – I’ve always wanted to grow a Gunnera but never had the room!!
I could let a friend keep their bees on the plot
It has a small walnut tree on it
I could use it to grow permanent type stuff – fruit, artichokes etc
I could grow things that take a lot of room – potatoes or squash
I could grow things that are in the ground for a long time – PSB, Kale etc
The 1st 3 months will be rent free
There’s lots of wildlife – frogs, newts, toads etc
I could use some of my original plot for a greenhouse
It is more sheltered – might be better for squash etc
I could grow more fruit up there

Cons
A lot of extra work is involved
I have nothing to loose except time and a bit of extra money
It is very overgrown
There is only one of me that gardens
Part of it gets a bit water-logged in winter
It doesn’t have a sea view
I work part-time and time can be precious
I haven’t got my existing plot into “perfect” condition yet
My 1st instinct was to reject it
Am I being over ambitious
Are my eyes bigger than my belly?!!!

what would you do? And can you think of any other pros and cons?

1066  :)

melann

• Not So New ...
Re: offered an extra plot
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 18:06:35 »
i personally think stick with the first get that working fully so ur happy and feel everythings ok and another point why take something on thats gonna take u away from plot one

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 18:17:17 »
As you are using it for more long term growing can you do things like plant the fruit and artichokes through weed suppressant fabric and mulch so that is doesn't take as much work immediately and you can always lift the fabric at some future date when you are on top of it all.  Also parts that you can't immediately cope with you could cover in black plastic to keep the weeds down.  I love the idea of the extra wildlife on the plot and boggy area, can you make a small pond too?  I have put weed suppressant and bark on an area of my plot that was unmanageable and it is my "sitting area" for now.  It is a hard decision isn't it, the main thing for me would be not taking on too much stress, and if it would be a lot of stress then say no, but if the enjoyment overrides the stress then say yes, you could always give it up after a year if it is too much and it would be in better condition than you took it on anyway, it's a nice predicament to be in, good luck whichever way you choose  :) not sure I have been any help :-[

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 18:21:37 »
If you have been offered it and want it go for it.    

The list of pros is definitely longer than the cons, (and one if the cons about nothing to loose is a pro).  So somewhere inside you are trying to persuade yourself to take it on.  If you take it one an have to give it up at least you will know it was a mistake.  If you don't take it on you will be forever walking past it and thinking: what if?  That should have been mine.  I would have put my gunnera right there.  Do not feel guilty about having two that is the responsibility of the the holder of the waiting list.  

I can't see the sea either.  I tried very hard and craned my neck as far as it would reach but still no success.     ;D

:(

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 18:25:54 »
I took a second plot last week. Its also very overgrown with horsetail, couch and bindweed. Im very short of space for fruit so plan on digging over once to get some of the weeds and roots out then planting through weed membrane. In my mind its already fully planted! Its got 2 derelict ponds and Ive been clearing one to try and get it going. Unfortunately trod on a rusty nail this week so out of action for now  :'(
Take it, youll regret it if you dont.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 18:30:31 »
I can't see the sea either.  I tried very hard and craned my neck as far as it would reach but still no success.     ;D

You know you load are a smashing lot. Always an honest opinion and always a giggle.

Some more things to think about - but I think you are right Digeroo, I think I'm trying to persuade myself to take it...

And yes I could always walk away from it after a year if it is too much or stressy, and hopefully it would be in a better state  :-\  :)

Oh and thanks for the thoughts Tulipa about the fruit planting - I have some red currant and black currant bushes that need permanent homes (they were only a couple of quid for the lot!)

I know what you are saying Melann, but I only really have one other area to clear now, and that will be done in the next few weeks - manure and weed suppressant, but then maybe you are right!

decisions, decisions...

1066  :)

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 18:32:44 »
You must have done a good job on your exsisting plot to be offered a 2nd plot.  So that is a big compliment.  I would go for it, as you have it planned in your head already.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 08:38:57 »
Weequeenie - congrats on your new plot  ;D And ouch about the nail, nasty!!

Taurus, I think you are right I am trying to justify this one, and thank you for your compliment - I'm not sure its totally true, I think this plot is fairly unletttable so they need a numpty prepared to take it!!

Thought of a few more cons -
No water nearby, it's a hike
It's quite a distance from my original plot so I'll have to carry all my tools etc
It's probably the furthest plot from the main gate so anything that is needed there is a real hike

And on the  pros -
There don't seem to be any brambles

Unknowns -
How much is it shaded by the trees nearby?

Think I'll go an take another look at it tomorrow, and take my camera.......

Thanks again

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 02:59:06 »
I took on a 2nd plot 2 years ago.  It seemed perfect at the time but I found I was spending too much time between the two and less family time as I am also the only gardener.  With working away sometimes and no less than 45 hours per week it was another full time effort outside of work.  The 1st plot was too small for my needs but the second seems not quite enough,  maybe 1 1/2 would of been best. 

My father-in-law now works the second plot though I do all his plug plants.  Between us we now cultivate both plots fully and have good harvests most of the time.  The harvests provides for both families.  Working 2 plots on my own would be fine if I did not have to work.  Should father in law decide to give up then I would probably go to 1 12/ plots.

On a more positive note,  the 2nd plot has allowed me to plant more permanent things such as currant bushes,  more raspberry canes,  I hope to plant asparagus crowns and comfrey next season.  Having a second greenhouse is also an added bonus for the amount of peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers we eat. 

My main point is that you ensure you have quality family time outside of allotmenteering and dont let it become too much of a chore that you start to resent going to the plot at times.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:43:47 »
My main point is that you ensure you have quality family time outside of allotmenteering and dont let it become too much of a chore that you start to resent going to the plot at times.

Thanks KT, its a good point you make there. and thanks for letting me know how you managed the 2nd plot. I'm going to have another look today. And I'll make sure it's a critical one. Then I'll discuss it with OH and see what is feasible. I'm lucky now as my work doesn't take me too far from home, only London occaisionaly, but you are right about not letting it take over, trying to find a balance between, work, hobbies and family is always tough isn't it

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 11:07:03 »
More excuses.  If part of it is flooded then the water table is very high which means in the summer most of the plants will get their roots down into it.  Anything which needs a lot of watering such as seed beds or anything with shallow roots can be put on your other allotment. 

I have 3/4 of an allotment 1/2 on one side and 1/4 on the other.  I have two trowels and two watering cans.  But I do not find it a problem  I have two sets of neighbours which is nice.  It gives be an opportunity to look at what others are doing on the way past.  You can pick up another set of tools quite cheaply at a car boot sale. 

My plots are very different and this amuses me.  One was designed on a spreadsheet so is very regular and organised, the other evolved.

I am currently finding it hard to find space for everyhting I want to grow  But I certainly could not cope with twice the area.   

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 11:39:31 »
I had a similar dilemma last year, my son had taken on a plot up the hill from mine, very overgrown but potentially beautiful. I also took on the dandelion field half plot right next door to my original plot. Trying to do get both cleared and productive was a plot too far! We gave up the top plot and I concentrated on getting the half plot cleared and productive overwinter, it is now 2/3rds cleared and has been more productive than expected this year, I will sort the remaining back bit our overwinter.

The advantages of having more land to grow on is a big positive, but I would be wary about it being so far away from your original plot, I found it just too tempting to concentrate on my main plot and just worried about the other one! You could however grow mostly perennial stuff on the new plot, which will be less maintenance for you.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 14:57:11 »
Well I've decided not to go for it. I think it will be too much for me this year and I think I should concentrate my efforts on my current plot

thanks for all your advice and expereince!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 16:29:17 »
I would take it.

You have all winter to wrestle over the problems and can re-think later. You probably can't change your mind if you say no.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 18:01:14 »
You know you are going to take it.

We learn from our mistakes.

Would a tape recorder playing crashing waves and seagull cries help?  You won't have time to stand and stare.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 09:06:17 »
Would a tape recorder playing crashing waves and seagull cries help?  You won't have time to stand and stare.

Ha - can you not include the seagulls - they are driving me nuts, they still have their young chicks (or to give them their proper name - Sargeants), and they wake me up at 4am EVERY MORNING at the moment!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal